New Stuff...

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
When did Sweatshirts with hoods become 'Hoodies' ?
I missed something..

New Words added to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary,
Eleventh Edition

Who'da thunk it~!

http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/info/new_words.htm
"Hoodies AND baseball caps" have just become banned from a shopping mall here in the UK and its going to be happening in more places.
They are cause to great contoversy here.
I don't know about back home,but they became "hoodies" here when teenagers decided they were too lazy to use the whole phrase.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
"Hoodies AND baseball caps" have just become banned from a shopping mall here in the UK and its going to be happening in more places.
They are cause to great contoversy here.
I don't know about back home,but they became "hoodies" here when teenagers decided they were too lazy to use the whole phrase.
Banned? Care to enlightenthose of us from across the pond?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first time I heard of "hoodie" was last year at a NYFL game my son was playing. He came to me wanting to get a hoodie. Get a what?? He took me to over to the booth selling a lot of stuff. Oh that.... Whatever happened to saying "hooded sweatshirts"? There were other words too that I learned from my kids (such as "dead presidents" meaning dollar bills).

So now you say these words are officially in the dictionary? Sigh.

- Ceicei

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that anyone ever called them anything BUT hoodies.

I'm wearing a hoodie now.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The school jaket id referred to as "The Kai Hoodie"

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
dubljay said:
Banned? Care to enlightenthose of us from across the pond?
They are comming under fire here because 98% of punk ***
teenagers that are commititng crimes are using "hoodies" to hide thier identity.
And personally...I agree with the ban.
If they are so tough...why hide?
If it's giving other people a bad rap...then they should be policing thier own.
It's gotten to the point in certain areas,if you see a hoodie(god I hate that term) go up....you better run or just get ready to fight!
For example,There was a news station doing a television report on youth crime and the reporter was told by a local...
"if you see a "hoodie" go up...run".
The very second they said that...a kid chucked on his "hoodie" and rode his bicycle right by the news car and chucked home made firecrackers in the car with the news staff seated inside...right on tv!
And suddenly...there was "hoodies" everywhere! Bottles,rocks...bricks,everything was flyin!
And no...it's not just a few,it's a butt load who are doing this!
I have had friends stopped by the police JUST because they were wearing a "hoodie" that matched a criminals
And that happens a lot.
So yea...for the disrespectful use...ban'em all!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dead-cat bounce noun [from the facetious notion that even a dead cat would bounce slightly if dropped from a sufficient height] (1985) : a brief and insignificant recovery (as of stock prices) after a steep decline
And just who checked this theory out?? geez

longneck . . . . noun (1978) : beer served in a bottle that has a long neck
They're just NOW putting this into the dictionary??

trichotillomania . . . . noun [New Latin, from trich- + Greek tillein to pull, pluck + New Latin mania] (ca. 1903) : an abnormal desire to pull out one's hair
and like, how many times is the average layperson going to use this word in a sentence?? "My buddy has a serious case of trichotillomania"... "What did you just say???"

NIMBY . . . . noun [not in my backyard] (1980) : opposition to the locating of something considered undesirable (as a prison or incinerator) in one's neighborhood — NIMBYism . . . . noun
If I'm not mistaken, George Carlin coined this phrase... he was talking about people whining about not enough prisons and how we should build more just NIMBY. "well, why not? You think that an escaped prisoner is going to just hang around?"

phat . . . . adjective . . . . [probably alteration of 1fat] (1963) slang : highly attractive or gratifying : EXCELLENT <a phat beat moving through my body — Tara Roberts>
HA! They got this one wrong! It's street slang for Pretty Hot And Tempting! Example: The ladies in the LLR are all PHAT! <ducks and waits for the boom to fall>

bogart . . . . transitive verb [probably from Humphrey Bogart died 1957 American film actor] (1966) 1 : BULLY, INTIMIDATE <activists bogarted their way into the . . . offices — Sarah Ferguson> 2 : to use or consume without sharing <bogart a joint>
You'd think that a dictionary would refrain from using any phrases that are drug-related. Hell, I've used this phrase I dunno how many ti--- err forget I said that... :lol:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back in High School. Bogarting was when you had the cigarette nonchantly dangling from your lips as you smoked it. Whne you pinched the cigarette between your fingers to remove it, the filter had stuck to your lips-which of course, resulting in sliding your fingers down to the burning part-which hurt and left matching burn blisters on the insides of your index and middle fingers. I have no idea why we called that a bogart

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I've been rewriting the dictionary for years.. just can't keep up :)

Course with all the 'Tess-ese' involved.. I'll never get it finished~!

I coin a new word daily :D

Latest Discussions