a few of my students
i'de love for your comments on it
love
shai.

Last edited by a moderator:

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is the art that Ueichi Ryu is supposed to be based from correct? That being said I can see similar moves in there but the crispness of Ueci is not there. I am not saying its wrong as I was only a 1st Kyu in Uechi many many years ago so am no authority on the topic. One thing is I like the way the speed lends to a more pressing feel on the application of the skills. I did enjoy it !!:)

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am by no means an authority on this style, or any style for that matter. It just looks to me like speed is the primary focus? The moves lack fluidity and power IMO. It almost seems to me like they are using a Stop Watch and timing the sequence to see who can go the fastest. I would strongly emphasize more power in the techniques. I do like the self defense apps , though. I am not familiar with the ranking system of your style though, so perhaps if they are beginner/Intermediate , they still have plenty of time for tweaking and polishing their techniques. I see tremendous aptitude though and am sure that they will reach their goals.

P.S. I am sorry if I sound negative , but in my 5 years or so of training, between Kempo and Chang Chuan that is my input :) I mean it in a positive way.

OP
S

shai-hai

White Belt
Reaction score
speed=power and the abilty to move swiftly and automaticly
5 years and no one told you???

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
speed=power and the abilty to move swiftly and automaticly
5 years and no one told you???

On that one I must disagree. Speed /= power. Many weight lifters are powerful but are slower than dirt. moving swiftly can generate kinetic power yes but it should be crisp for the whiping affect. IMHO

Black Tortoise

White Belt
Reaction score
I am not by any means an expert in pangainoon(Uechi-Ryu or Shohei-ryu or whatever else you call it) but I do have a good friend who is a black belt in the style and I am familiar with their training and forms..From what I can tell the Form that the student is doing at the end of the video(at about 200 KPH) is not one of the three Forms that originated the style(Sanchin,Seisan, Sanseirui)in the first place or if it is..It has greatly differentiated from what is being done in Shohei or Uechi.

Latest Discussions