new ideas for a beginner to work on please

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey guys.

i finally feel like i,m getting this wing chun malarky at last. i am able to deliver a half decent block and even a counter to most of them.....slowly!

i work on these with my son when he feels like it,and i work on the dummy as much as poss.

i am having trouble with a follow up to my jum,it usually just becomes block and follow through to punch with that hand, but i cant seem to be able to move on and step in and follow up as i can with the ohter blocks...

any simple(remember my experience level pleeeze)folow ups i can work on?

also i need some help/advice with my drills when i have to use bong sau inside gate,although i know its not a recommended move in many "real" situations but it is something we have to work on and i seem to get stuck in too close when i,m using
again any advice would be great.
i,l be asking sufu tomo nite if we have time.

big fanx
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hey guys.

i am having trouble with a follow up to my jum...
...also i need some help/advice with my drills when i have to use bong sau inside gate... i,l be asking sufu tomo nite if we have time.

big fanx
matsu

Matsu...How about if you check with your sifu tomorrow night and then post back on what he says. That way, instead of getting bad advice from us (when we can't even see what you are doing), we will get potentially useful advice from you! Then we can give you our ill-informed opinions.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

At begginer levels, just do the patterns that Sil Lum Tao trains you in.

Jom Sau to Chung Kuen (straint punch) is from Dan Chi sao, yet in SLT there are other options, like Pak Sao, Wu Sao, Tok sao, Gan Sao, and of course, you can use Tan sao. Depends on specific drlls and triggers. Yet all these are on SLT following a jom sao.

And the Bong sao is VERY useful in real applications, yet has to be used with appropriate footwork.

Hope that helps.

Juan M. Mercado

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lmao at geezer... any advice you guys give is a poss option i wont know so its all goooooood!

thank you proff. concise and precise and incredibly helpful as usual.

i think what i know of inside bong is so little it hasnt found a niche in my armoury yet.:)

ill get back to you soon

matsu

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised you've been let loose on a dummy so early. I'm pretty much a novice myself, and the school of thought at our club is that we need to develop sensitivity first and only then move onto the dummy. This way we're saved from getting into too many bad habits, you know, using too much strength etc.

Most of the time when I ask my sifu what to train away from class, he says "the basics". You can never do too much siu lim tau etc. Also even (seemingly) little things like the transitions between hands like tan sau to bong sau.

I think geezer is wise to suggest you ask your sifu first, though. :)

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi mate
in normal run of club we dont get near the dummy for a loooooong time,but master james does various seminars targetting specifics and one such wkend was the dummy, something i had always wanted to do and part of the reason wing chun appealled originally.
so i asked and he told me much of it would be outside of my understanding but if i learnt the basics and first parts of the form then i would benefit all round.
my sifu agreed as long as i was shown the basics and didnt try to move on too quickly and therefore pick up bad habits which as we all know are harder to undo.

i have just kept to the first 3 parts of the form and i use it to work through my blocks counters drills and single chi sau (which again is too early to learn but everyone knows how impatient i am:angel:)

i would recommend anyone getting one this early if they can control their enthusiasm when using it, as i have learnt lots and i think my distancing footwork and alround awareness of how to develop my techniques have improved.

part of me asking such questions on a forum is my ocd-like fustration with trying to improve with anything i do. same with my careeer and the other pursuits i have loved ....bodybuilding karate and bonsai, i read everything practised everything and drove everyone around me to distraction with my obsessive behaviours,although age has slowed me down my need for information will never cease.this is also why i have private lesssons every month!! yeesh a geek i know!
everyone has reminded me to ask sifu but i tend to monopolise the class some sessions and that isnt fair every week.

matsu

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well this is not a new idea but certaintly very important, and one that is ignored a lot due to emphasis being put so much on hand techniques,and its to sink into your stance,be structured dont worry about hitting and being hit,spend time on the stance,in chisao and drills.

also practice being relaxed,fluid.before i go to class i think,right what am i going to work on,it could be stance,keeping relaxed,isolating my training around a certain technique,or working in a way of thinking. i find by doing this i have more control over my training .

ask you partner does he want to work on anything if not tell him your working on something specific and work it untill you feel right .i have a more productive class this way.

jase.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You could work with your bong sau as such, rememeber you get turned into bong sau, it won't work to just start off with it. i.e. work with say a straight punch or hook punch and start your movement off with tan sau. Have your partner give you more force and as you start to collapse, flow to bong sau to re-direct their force. Start slow, working on sensitivity. If the pressure/force isn't enough to start moving you or collapsing your tan sau, then stay in tan sau while punching with the other hand. When the force gets too much for tan sau, then flow to bong sau. Make sure that you keep space between your body and your bong sau forearm, point your bong sau fingers to the opponent's eyes and keep forward pressure. This will help keep you from collapsing. Bong sau is very practical when used against a bigger and stronger opponent. Be patient and feel, you'll see the great benefit of bong sau. (we move from dai sau to bong sau, alot easier than from tan sau, but not many folks do this.)
Drill alot on basic/horse stance. Become so familiar with it that you can pivot, and step in all directions without much thought. This will help with your follow through, give you more power in punching, and stronger structure with you blocks, or deflections.
As for jum sau, you could do a little drill where you execute jum sau, and with the jum sau hand immediately raise up for a punch to get a feel for the sensitivity and spring energy. But, it depends on how your using jum sau, yet, to make your follow up faster work on flowing from jum sau straight to punch off the same hand like in dan chi.

Last edited:

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Matsu,remember this;skill...speed... then power...control the centerline...above all stay relaxed but purposeful....Take your time...digest....Two cents....

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thank you guys

i really appreciate your help and advice.
i am very impatient by nature and i really do understand that wing chun needs to have man hours put into it to get that feel that sensitivity the relax but strong aspect and just at my age it takes a lil time to get the moves etc.
but i am determined that this will be something i will be good at.
i am lucky that i know in master james sinclair and his sifu's i have some of the best in england if not europe to guide me thru the learning process.

and this forum helps a great deal too so big fanx

oh and nice to see you post again si -je:whip1:

matsu

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi yosh.

trouble is i have had a very busy week workwise and have not practised as much as i would like. but this wkend i will work hard on a few pointers i have been given by the gang on here.and sifu last nite took us right back to basics and at half speed,man that was hard!!
it was a dig deep root yourself in and build those muscles type of wkout.
turning punches and blocks whislt dragging feet across the floor not sliding,trying to get 7points of the body connected into each movement.

i will def heed kwik and skinters advice. try to find one thing to concentrate on in one workout/combo. and then spend all next week building on that.

matsu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matsu, Aww. Working all seven points in unison. Interesting thats great. I see you guys are really building power to deliever a devasting blow behind your WC punches. That is great. Whole body force is the way to go!!!

Sounds like a great class. Basics are the best!

Latest Discussions