Moving to Cali

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to Upper Lake, CA from here in Starkville, Miss at the end of next month, and was wondering if there was anyone within reasonable driving distance of Ukiah/Upper Lake that felt like meeting up and training or visiting? I'm gonna be looking for a good shibu or dojo also, so any suggestions would be appreciated. If you guys know of a Shibu or dojo that isn't listed on winjutsu.com, please let me know.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're going to be in a very nice area, but the only Booj person in that area I know of is Richard Van Donk, who moved up to Clear Lake a few years ago. As far as I know he doesn't run a dojo these days, though I could be mistaken about that.

Next-nearest dojo is in Santa Rosa, about halfway between Upper Lake and San Francisco -- 'bout a 75-mile drive south for you. The instructor, Larry Gregg, used to train with us in "the old days" at the original Stockton, CA dojo. He and his group have largely kept to themselves the last few years, but he's good and he does go regularly to Japan.

There are occasional weekend seminars in the Bay Area that would be within reach for you. Those are always listed on the "Training Events" page at my website, so you might want to look at that occasionally to see who's doing what and where on the weekends.

Looks like you'll also be out here in time for this year's annual West Coast Buyu Camp, and I'd definitely recommend getting to that if you can.

Good luck!

OP
Shinkengata

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see what i can do about making it to the camp. I've heard it's heaps cheaper if you stay somewhere else(i.e. a local buyu's house) during the camp.

Shihan Joel Everett is in Sacramento, which is a 2.5 hour drive from Upper Lake, as i understand it. I may check him out, since a friend of mine attended one of his classes and was very impressed by his Shidoshi, Alex, and the things he was demonstrating.

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train at the Sac dojo and Alex is very good at what he teaches. Come check it out . It is a nice training spot and lots of classes. Check out the website for the schedule.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinkengata said:
Thanks. I'll see what i can do about making it to the camp. I've heard it's heaps cheaper if you stay somewhere else(i.e. a local buyu's house) during the camp.

Shihan Joel Everett is in Sacramento, which is a 2.5 hour drive from Upper Lake, as i understand it. I may check him out, since a friend of mine attended one of his classes and was very impressed by his Shidoshi, Alex, and the things he was demonstrating.

Sacramento is even further than Santa Rosa, about 120 miles from upper Lake.

However, I do agree with what stauburn says about Alex Bushman.

Latest Discussions