Michael Bisping oh why you shouldn’t use BJJ in a street fight

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know Tez can stick up for herself with no problems, but this just annoyed me. Tez has been involved in the fight game for YEARS in the UK. She has seen most of the people coming up in that time. Reading her posts, I put more stock into what she says about Bisping than his stretch of the truth.

He went for 28 days! Are jails and prisons different in the UK? I see the news media always messing this up and using jail/prison interchangeably when they are very different places.
clearly they are different, the UK doesn't have any jails only prisons. we dont therefore have jailers only prison guards. however the act-of being sent to prison is called being jailed

so the prison is the building, jailing is the act of punishment

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Tez can stick up for herself with no problems, but this just annoyed me. Tez has been involved in the fight game for YEARS in the UK. She has seen most of the people coming up in that time. Reading her posts, I put more stock into what she says about Bisping than his stretch of the truth.

He went for 28 days! Are jails and prisons different in the UK? I see the news media always messing this up and using jail/prison interchangeably when they are very different places.
Good for you my friend I am more than happy to not listen to what she has to say. As there is way more evidence to support his side....the guy had visa issues that plagued his career. He was meant to fight on an ultimate fighter finale card but the fight got cancelled due to visa issues and had to be rescheduled. When he coached TUF he was late arriving from the Uk again visa issues...sooo yeah there we go and yes he went for 28 days...for a street fight that didn’t cause any injury to anyone involved and the other guy didn’t press charges but he’d already been fined for fighting in the past. That’s a fairly normal sentence for a street fight for a guy with a record so yeah I’m happy to believe what’s written and it’d be stupid to lie...because it’d be very easy to be proven wrong. So yes I believe him over someone on the Internet. Feel free to get as upset and annoyed as you like

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear, believing a celebrity who has a book and himself as a brand to sell is always a risky thing to do. Bisping likes to look like a 'bad boy' because it suits the narrative, 'yeah I'm a street fighter', reads well to the fan boys. Most people in MMA in the UK think Bisping is an idiot, when he was fighting foreigners he was supported in public but really everyone knows what a prat he is.

Look at the media these days and you will see how many lies there are by those with something to sell, and boy have some people bought it. It's all about image and sellablility.

I really don't care whether you believe me or don't, it's not my monkey and not my circus but when you get what he actually says wrong ( he didn't say don't use BJJ in 'street' fights) it doesn't do much for credibility.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear, believing a celebrity who has a book and himself as a brand to sell is always a risky thing to do. Bisping likes to look like a 'bad boy' because it suits the narrative, 'yeah I'm a street fighter', reads well to the fan boys. Most people in MMA in the UK think Bisping is an idiot, when he was fighting foreigners he was supported in public but really everyone knows what a prat he is.

Look at the media these days and you will see how many lies there are by those with something to sell, and boy have some people bought it. It's all about image and sellablility.

I really don't care whether you believe me or don't, it's not my monkey and not my circus but when you get what he actually says wrong ( he didn't say don't use BJJ in 'street' fights) it doesn't do much for credibility.
Are arrest and prison records public information in the UK?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
clearly they are different, the UK doesn't have any jails only prisons. we dont therefore have jailers only prison guards. however the act-of being sent to prison is called being jailed

so the prison is the building, jailing is the act of punishment

Thanks for the information. It is different here in the US. Jail is where you go while awaiting court/sentencing. If convicted, you can spend 1-2 years in jail. Each state has a different "cap" on their jail time before going to prison. For example, in Michigan the most you can be sentenced to jail is 1 year. (usually run by the County/Parish Sheriff). If the sentence is longer than that (felony), then you go to prison to do your time, these are usually run by the state (although some privatized exist).

So, 28 days on a sentence is a very LOW offense in this country.

Karate student96

White Belt
Reaction score
Love bisping one of my favourites. Never in a boring fight, always bought it and fought hard incredible heart...took a flying knee and continued. Always battled back after a loss. Won the title on 2 weeks notice. The only British MMA fighter to win a ufc title.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bisping never says you shouldn't use BJJ in a street fight. What he says is that you don't want to be stuck fighting on your back in a street fight. Guess what? The pioneers of BJJ would say the same thing.

Exactly right. It's incredible that people still don't get that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love bisping one of my favourites. Never in a boring fight, always bought it and fought hard incredible heart...took a flying knee and continued. Always battled back after a loss. Won the title on 2 weeks notice. The only British MMA fighter to win a ufc title.

You should have a look at his pro debut fight, against a military medic with little training and recovering from cancer. It was a worked fight to start padding his record.

Yes he's an arrogant muppet, so is his father.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You should have a look at his pro debut fight, against a military medic with little training and recovering from cancer. It was a worked fight to start padding his record.

Yes he's an arrogant muppet, so is his father.
Welcome back, @Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back, @Tez3

Cheers, I've been busy lol. We adopted an ex racing greyhound called Enzo, he's totally gorgeous but had never been in a house before so lots of training. He learnt quickly and is now a 45mph couchpotato.

IMG_20200915_134814.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Cheers, I've been busy lol. We adopted an ex racing greyhound called Enzo, he's totally gorgeous but had never been in a house before so lots of training. He learnt quickly and is now a 45mph couchpotato.

View attachment 23243
Enzo looks so cute! I've never adopted a greyhound, but have known several who have retired from racing and settled very nicely into families of friends. They're wonderful dogs, and the ones I've met are surprisingly mellow.