Meditation

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the study of meditation neccessary for those practicing the arts of the Ninja. What is the most popular type of meditation for people studying Ninjutsu.

G

Genin Andrew

meditation is very necessary in ninjutsu or almost all martial arts.Meditation is daily routine for most eastern cultures,the modern west is still not very open to meditation but as far as martial arts go,it is very very necessary.As once said before,techniques are mere manifestations of the mind,we control our arms with our mind,and our arms control the technique,stronger mind=stronger technique.

to strengthen mind...meditate...simple philosophy that has served others well...

As far as "how" goes this is really varied,from person to person,school to school,art to art,religion to religion...there are so many different ways.some people just sit there,lie there or stand and control their breathing,others get complex and do "moving meditation" or hand positions and so forth...it depends on alot of factors and the individual....

much respect
-andrew

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few things:

1) No, meditation is not "daily routine" in "most Eastern cultures". Very few people, East or West, continually and actively meditate --- regardless of what their religions may or may not say.

Sure, meditation is common in temples and monasteries in the East. But, meditation is also common in temples and monasteries in the West.

2) No, meditation is not "required" in any martial art I have had experience with --- although it may help. Then again, it may also hurt one's progress.

Laterz.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed, heretic, on both counts. Meditation is a very vague term...and there are some meditations that quite the mind and self, which in a survival-type of experiance may be a serious downfall.

Case-in-point: Hatsumi sensei has noted on occasion that too much meditation is not good, especially in the terms of the Godan test. If you've "silenced" yourself to too much of a degree, instinct is also muffled and the ability to pick up intention can also be stiffled.

As a side note, there are many times of traditional meditations that wake up the "self", while calming the mind and body.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
*nods*

Yup, that's the thing a lot of people don't seem to get. So-called "meditation" is actually a pretty diverse field of practice --- there are as many different types of meditation as there are martial arts (if not moreso). And, different types of meditations are intended to produce different effects in their adherents --- savikalpa samadhi is not formless cessation, for example.

On another side note, I have heard some view taijutsu itself as "moving meditation". Any thoughts??

S

Scout_379

I love meditation, and i've only had good things come from it.

Latest Discussions