Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was sad when I heard the news. Marvin was a nice guy and an extremely hard worker. He lived near us, everybody knew him, everybody liked him.

R.I.P, Champ.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was sad when I heard the news. Marvin was a nice guy and an extremely hard worker. He lived near us, everybody knew him, everybody liked him.

R.I.P, Champ.

I saw him in an exhibition fight in Worcester, I sat ringside, got to see him afterwards, but did not talk. I was surprised at how much shorter than me he was, I was incredibly surprised at how much wider his shoulders were than mine. I always liked Hagler

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw him in an exhibition fight in Worcester, I sat ringside, got to see him afterwards, but did not talk. I was surprised at how much shorter than me he was, I was incredibly surprised at how much wider his shoulders were than mine. I always liked Hagler

Back in the day, just before he won the championship, Hagler used to visit several boxing gyms in the Boston area, including ours. (which was about a hundred yards from that great Tai-Chi place you hooked me up with years later. Thanks again, by the way) He would go a round each with a whole bunch of us all the while working his defense. It was wonderful. And he’d never hurt you.

There was a local kid who had just turned pro six months prior. A real white boy punk. Brawler, tough fighter. He gets in the ring with Hagler and starts throwing absolute bombs. Marvin warns him several times, as do the Petronellis. The kid still throws bombs, I guess trying to make a name for himself, I don’t know, I never could figure out the minds of idiots and A-holes.

I’ll never forget what Hagler did. He grabbed him around the waist/back with his left arm, like he was waltzing with him, trapping the kids right arm. With his other gloved hand, he grabs the punk’s left wrist. Then dances with him, all the while the punk trying to shove him away, trying to head butt him, throw him down, trying to free his right arm, whatever. Hagler never budged, just danced, rag dolled him like he was a little kid, and I mean seriously rag dolled him like a pit bull shaking a towel. This popcorn had no idea how strong Marvin Hagler was. The whole time Hagler lectures him about not being an A-hole. The Bell rang and Hagler let him go, flicking him away. The punk was pissed, but he was also scared, real scared.

Put his tail between his legs and skulked out of the gym. The kid turned out to be a tomato can and had a very short career. Hagler went on to what we all knew him as, a World Champion.

Some of the guys said they wish Hagler had just knocked him out. I thought, “are you kidding me? He just schooled that puppy right in front of us, taught him a lesson, and didn't physically hurt him. Far more impressive than just knocking him out." It was outstanding.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Back in the day, just before he won the championship, Hagler used to visit several boxing gyms in the Boston area, including ours. (which was about a hundred yards from that great Tai-Chi place you hooked me up with years later. Thanks again, by the way) He would go a round each with a whole bunch of us all the while working his defense. It was wonderful. And he’d never hurt you.

There was a local kid who had just turned pro six months prior. A real white boy punk. Brawler, tough fighter. He gets in the ring with Hagler and starts throwing absolute bombs. Marvin warns him several times, as do the Petronellis. The kid still throws bombs, I guess trying to make a name for himself, I don’t know, I never could figure out the minds of idiots and A-holes.

I’ll never forget what Hagler did. He grabbed him around the waist/back with his left arm, like he was waltzing with him, trapping the kids right arm. With his other gloved hand, he grabs the punk’s left wrist. Then dances with him, all the while the punk trying to shove him away, trying to head butt him, throw him down, trying to free his right arm, whatever. Hagler never budged, just danced, rag dolled him like he was a little kid, and I mean seriously rag dolled him like a pit bull shaking a towel. This popcorn had no idea how strong Marvin Hagler was. The whole time Hagler lectures him about not being an A-hole. The Bell rang and Hagler let him go, flicking him away. The punk was pissed, but he was also scared, real scared.

Put his tail between his legs and skulked out of the gym. The kid turned out to be a tomato can and had a very short career. Hagler went on to what we all knew him as, a World Champion.

Some of the guys said they wish Hagler had just knocked him out. I thought, “are you kidding me? He just schooled that puppy right in front of us, taught him a lesson, and didn't physically hurt him. Far more impressive than just knocking him out." It was outstanding.

I really like those stories, and he did school him, much more than if he had just knocked him out. His training was serious, he use to do his road work in work boots. Always seemed like a good guy, never officially meant him, but living in Massachusetts, in those days, it was hard not to know about Marvin Hagler

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Did he do this at the time knowing haglers rank/who he was, or just that it was a local hotshot he thought he could rough up?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did he do this at the time knowing haglers rank/who he was, or just that it was a local hotshot he thought he could rough up?

He knew full well who Marvin Hagler was, Hagler was at his pre championship peak at this time, he had just gotten screwed against then champion Vito Antuofermo in a supposed fifteen round draw.

The punk was just trying to make a name for himself, and got just what he deserved.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He knew full well who Marvin Hagler was, Hagler was at his pre championship peak at this time, he had just gotten screwed against then champion Vito Antuofermo in a supposed fifteen round draw.

The punk was just trying to make a name for himself, and got just what he deserved.
Then he's both an idiot and an a-hole. Otherwise he'd have just been an a-hole.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then he's both an idiot and an a-hole. Otherwise he'd have just been an a-hole.

Oh, he was that. A few years later he was a cadet at the Boston Police Academy. I told the other guys there that he'd wash out within three months. I think he made three weeks, maybe a month.

Latest Discussions