Martial Arts and Diabetes

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Should people obstain from martial arts if there diabetic? Lets say there in uechi ryu or goju or kali should they just not do those arts?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Should people obstain from martial arts if there diabetic? Lets say there in uechi ryu or goju or kali should they just not do those arts?

Why? Assuming the diabetes is under control, why not do something you enjoy? If the diabetes is not under control, you have bigger things to worry about then which martial art to choose.

Long term border line diabetic, high blood pressure and having suffered a heart attack 5 years ago hasn't stopped me. I actually got involved in regular judo ractice after my heart attck, after some 20 years of jiu jitsu, combatives and knifework.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't stop my younger kung fu brother & he's diabetic to the point of taking a needle a couple of times a day. He bench presses about 350 pounds for reps & regularly runs 5 & 10k races with no ill effects.

But that's him... your mileage may vary.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exercise is a key part of managing the blood sugar aspect of diabetes and martial arts can be a vehicle for obtaining physical exercise. I see no reason why a diabetic shouldn't practice MA if he is cognizant of his body and he knows the difference between physical strain from exercise vs. strain or pain from a health problem.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

They should only do so if their doctor and the patient think so. However I really can not think of a doctor who would not encourage a diabetic to engage in physical actvity and
martial arts provides this as well as coping mechanism to combat stress,dealing with adversities in life and providing a social network of support within the dojo or even a community such as this site.

I want to add, this can be said of other illness as well as long as the doctor and patient and even teacher of the school are involved to ensure safety.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshin-Ryu has done me a world of good keeping my diabetes under control. I am a type II diabetic and I do take medication, but I do not inject insulin. The only issue I could see would be for a type I diabetic who runs a danger of going low and losing consciousness. I know of one karateka (second hand) who spars competitively with an insulin pump on her body.

Always follow your doctor's advice, but mine is fine with it, and so is my sensei (I kept him informed of course). And rock on.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Diabetics may face the challenge of controlling their blood sugar at the dojo but I don't see diabetes a hindrance to learning MA. Exercise relieves stress and benefits the immune system. In fact, there's a study that tai chi/ Qi Gong can help in managing diabetes especially type 2. The relaxation technique improves glucose metabolism too.

As long as he/she eats well, takes his/her medication
and keeps some crackers, sugar packets or glucose gel on hand in case of low blood sugar incident, I think diabetics will be fine in the dojo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four time Olympic gold medallist rower Steve Redgrave is diabetic, manages fine as you can see by the medals. It's quite a common condition in a lot of athletes, professional as well as amateur.