Make Money From Home By Drinking Beer!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alcohol use helps boost income: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - People who consume alcohol earn significantly more at their jobs than non-drinkers, according to a US study that highlighted "social capital" gained from drinking.

The study published in the Journal of Labor Research Thursday concluded that drinkers earn 10 to 14 percent more than teetotalers, and that men who drink socially bring home an additional seven percent in pay.

"Social drinking builds social capital," said Edward Stringham, an economics professor at San Jose State University and co-author of the study with fellow researcher Bethany Peters.

"Social drinkers are out networking, building relationships, and adding contacts to their BlackBerries that result in bigger paychecks."

It states later on that this does contradict the results of an earlier study.

Yet, I was convinced! :D

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will say this. One of my seniors is an expert brewer, and has been making various recipes of beer and mead since his SCA days. I can honestly say he's one of the more popular members of my club, especially when he brings in fresh kegs.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would I make more money by drinking whiskey and gin instead of beer because of the higher alchohol content?

Jeff

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we clearly need more studies to address that issue.

I find it interesting that they believe the benefit is the "social lubrication" aspect of drinking.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, I agree....More studies, work on consumption technique.
icon10.gif

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does make perfect sense, though. I'd be surprised if social drinkers don't outnumber teetotalers. What are teetotalers doing while we're out lifting a few in the pub? Probably grooming their cats and knitting sweaters. Pretty tough to break into the "old boy's club" that way.....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It does make perfect sense, though. I'd be surprised if social drinkers don't outnumber teetotalers. What are teetotalers doing while we're out lifting a few in the pub? Probably grooming their cats and knitting sweaters. Pretty tough to break into the "old boy's club" that way.....

Or,

Maybe the guys with the higher paying jobs have more job stress so they go home and drink???

Latest Discussions