Mabuni and Jujutsu

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for any historical documentation of the Shito Ryu Founder Mabuni Kenwa and his Jujutsu training.

Jim Mc Coy

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent McCoy sensei! Let us discuss these lesser-known facts of Karate :)

This page here has the relevant information which lead into this thread

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25798&page=1&pp=15

Let me quote one of the interesting information being discussed here, courtesy of MT's own George Kohler of the Genbukan.

George Kohler said:
Just call me George.

As far as I can tell, Yata Noriyuki (aka Kunino Ichiro) is the one that taught Mabuni Kenwa. As to how they met, I don't know. I was told that Kenwa taught Ueno Takashi, but in the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten is has Mabuni Kenei and then Ueno Takashi.

Here is what the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten says about Shinden Fudo-ryu kenpo:

Shinden Fudō-ryū (Ken [fist], Bō [staff], Naginata [halberd] Iai [sword draw], Koshimawashi [around the hips], Yawara [jujutsu], and Tetsusa [iron chain])

Judge Yata is the founder (of this school). The school continued to the beginning of Meiji, when 9th generation Yata Onseisai Noriaki (commonly known as Taito) learned a number of ryu, (and went on to) found his own ryu, which he called Shinden Jigen-ryu; however, this was later changed by Yata Noriyuki to Shinden Fudo-ryu. In the time of the Meiji Restoration, he set up the Kusamou Yada Group in Kyoto with his son Takao, and went on a "business trip" teaching military arts in Yamato-Totsukawa and elsewhere. After the Restoration, he joined up with others of the Conservative school of thought and the Discontented Party in Kurume, Okayama, Totsukawa and elsewhere and planned to fool the former Nobles and overthrow the Satsuma Clan Government, but in March of the 4th year of the Meiji Period (1872) he was detected, caught, and became a lifetime prisoner. He was 50 years old at the time. His pseudonym in those days was called Kunino Ichiro. As for the lineage, --- Yata Noriaki – Yata Noriyuki --- (17 Generation) Mabuni Kenwa – Mabuni Kenei – Ueno Takashi.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
This URL here

http://members.cox.net/shitokai/manzoiwata.htm

shows that Iwata Manzo, one of Mabuni sensei's best students, received a menkyo in a Koryu Jujutsu/Kenpo system (Nanban Satto-ryu) so maybe it was the norm for Mabuni's students to cross-train in other styles in order to expand their knowledge. So it's not too far-fetched that Mabuni Kenwa himself did picked up a few Jujutsu techniques, maybe even a Ryuha, on his own martial arts journeys...

OP
J

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. This is going to get me a good start.

In looking at some of these sites and postings, I see where teh terms Kenpo and Jujutsu are used interchangeably, and also some arts are called "Kenpo Jujutsu".

I had always thought that the term "Kenpo Jujutsu" was coined in Hawaii when practioners there started blending Jujutsu and the newly introduced Karate in the 1930's.

Was this usage common in the koryu systems?

Jim Mc Coy

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is some info to get you started.

Mabuni Kenwa, Sakagami Ryusho, Fujita Isamu (Fujita Seiko), and Fujitani Masatoshi, Konishi Yasuhiro belonged to Ueno Takashi's Kenkyukai (research group). There were others, but I can't remember everyone.

All of them exchanged information at some point. For example, Mabuni studied Shindo Tenshin-ryu kenpo and Asayama Ichiden-ryu taijutsu from Ueno Takashi, while Ueno studied Shinden Fudo-ryu kenpo.

Some don't even know that Sakagami Ryusho (Shito-ryu fame) studied Shinden Fudo-ryu taijutsu, Hontai Kijin Chosui-ryu dakentaijutsu, Asayama Ichiden-ryu taijutsu and Shindo Tenshin-ryu kenpo from Ueno Takashi. He didn't just study a little bit, but received menkyo kaiden for some, if not all.

Hope this helps.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
BTW, I have a picture of a Shinden Fudo-ryu kenpo scroll, but this forum does not allow me to attach it.

OP
J

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Further Confirmation (part of an email I received from a highly reliable Shito Ryu source)

"Yes, Kuniba Soke originated an art called Goshin Budo and was certified and
accepted into the JKF as a true traditional art due to his art rooting from Hanshi Gozo Shioda."

Kuniba and his father Kosei Kokuba were direct students of Mabuni. Mabubi and Choki Motobu taught at Kokuba's dojo .

"Mabuni Sokes art of grappling was rooted from Okinawan Tegumi and Nanban Sato ryu Kenpo from the Ninjutsu art taught by Soke Seiko Fujita."

Jim Mc Coy

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
Mabuni studied Asayama Ichiden-ryu taijutsu from Ueno Takashi...

Sakagami Ryusho (Shito-ryu fame) studied Hontai Kijin Chosui-ryu dakentaijutsu...

Correction on the two above. Mabuni Kenwa was not in my source for Asayama Ichiden-ryu.

As for Sakagami Ryusho, I was confused with another person by the name of "Sakagami". Sakagami Ryusho did not learn Kijin Chosui-ryu.

The other schools that I did mention are correct.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
...Nanban Sato ryu Kenpo from the Ninjutsu art taught by Soke Seiko Fujita."

This is not really correct. Fujita Seiko learned Nanban Satto-ryu kenpo from Hashimoto Ippusai and he learned Koga-ryu from his grandfather. So they are connected only by Fujita Seiko being soke of both schools.

Nanban Satto-ryu is a branch of the Nanban Ippon-ryu, which originally came from Seigo-ryu.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have received the scroll, thank you very much! Must be a very small Ryuha if that scroll contains all the Katas.. but I am sure this one is as much challenging as any :)

OP
J

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also received the scroll. Thank you.

This historical information should keep me busy for a while.

Jim Mc Coy

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
I have received the scroll, thank you very much! Must be a very small Ryuha if that scroll contains all the Katas.. but I am sure this one is as much challenging as any :)

The ryuha may appear small, but the picture only shows a portion of the scroll. Since we don't actually have the scroll, we really will not know until we see it with our own eyes.

In one source that I have read (Ueno Takashi Sensei 20th Anniversary Memorial Service by Kaminaga Shigemi), it says that Mabuni gave Ueno Takashi only one scroll.

I found this picture of the scroll on a Japanese website by doing a Google search on Shinden Fudo-ryu kenpo (in kanji) and found the picture. I can't remember who the scroll belongs to and I can't seem to find the website anymore.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear George, what is the connection between Kijin Chosui-ryu and Shinden Tatara-ryu? The techniques from these two Ryuha looks similar. Why Kijin Chosui-ryu is considered Karate and Shinden Tatara-ryu isn't? Tanemura sensei on his Samurai Jujutsu video said that "from this Kenpo was born". Care to elaborate?

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, at this time Shinden Tatara-ryu history has not been introduced to many Genbukan members yet. Except for a few kata, not much is known.

OP
J

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Supposedly, Shogo Kuniba learned Kobudo from Fujita Seiko.
Does anyone have a way to confirm this?

Jim Mc Coy

Latest Discussions