Lo Man Kam/Gorden Lu?

avengingbeagle

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey guys,

Does anybody know anything about/have experience with either of these guys or their lineage? Apparently Lo Man Kam is a nephew of Ip Man. I'm not sure who he was taught by.

His son is a guy named Gorden Lu and he happens to run the only wing chun school near me. From what I've seen so far, it looks good. I plan on checking out a class soon but figured I'd see if anyone here knew anything about them.

Thanks.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hey guys,

Does anybody know anything about/have experience with either of these guys or their lineage? Apparently Lo Man Kam is a nephew of Ip Man. I'm not sure who he was taught by.

His son is a guy named Gorden Lu and he happens to run the only wing chun school near me. From what I've seen so far, it looks good. I plan on checking out a class soon but figured I'd see if anyone here knew anything about them.

Thanks.

I think LMK was trained by Yip Man.
His son Gordon teaches his dad's version of WC but he also has extensive training from Duncan Leung which may also be present in his methods. Definitely worth a look. Let us know how it goes!

OP
A

avengingbeagle

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
His son Gordon teaches his dad's version of WC but he also has extensive training from Duncan Leung which may also be present in his methods. Definitely worth a look. Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I thought I read LMK was trained by Ip Man but wasn't sure. I've heard people say Ip Man wasn't fond of teaching family. Is there any truth to that?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

^^^^What he said! :) Never met Gordon but have seen him on video. Looked like good stuff. I'd go see him if he was close to me! His methods are a combination of his father's and of Duncan Leung's. Look up "Applied Wing Chun" on youtube and you'll find all kinds of vids to check out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm...hadn't heard that before. Interesting.

My old Chinese sifu told us that Chinese sifus often did not directly teach their sons ... too much conflict. Better to let an uncle, etc. teach them if they want to learn.

My son has no interest in what I do. I tried him in wrestling, escrima, and WC. He finally chose TKD. And he has expressed an interest in HEMA. Kids, at least American kids, will follow their own inclinations. I suspect that Chinese kids are not so very different. I doubt that GM Yip Man's parents were very keen on his interest in WC. :)

OP
A

avengingbeagle

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My old Chinese sifu told us that Chinese sifus often did not directly teach their sons ... too much conflict. Better to let an uncle, etc. teach them if they want to learn.

My son has no interest in what I do. I tried him in wrestling, escrima, and WC. He finally chose TKD. And he has expressed an interest in HEMA. Kids, at least American kids, will follow their own inclinations. I suspect that Chinese kids are not so very different. I doubt that GM Yip Man's parents were very keen on his interest in WC. :)

Kung Fu movie fanatic here! This is indeed a common trope in the classic martial arts films. Examples being: 'Challenge of the masters', 'Legend of a fighter', 'Executioners From Shaolin'(kind of. He learns from mom but not dad), etc.

Latest Discussions