Live In Student

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone has ever lived at their martial arts school as a "live in student" sort of thing. I believe this is more common in Japanese arts and even has its own term, "uchi-deshi".

Does anyone have any experiences with this? How did it work? Is it a good idea? I am in my early 20's and if I had the option to live at my dojang I would be all for it. (Although I am sure many students' lifestyles wouldn't fit well into this scenario.) Really I want your opinions because I think it would be a great thing that I could maybe offer to students in the future, but what aspects about it have I not yet thought through?

bmcgonag

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone has ever lived at their martial arts school as a "live in student" sort of thing. I believe this is more common in Japanese arts and even has its own term, "uchi-deshi".

Does anyone have any experiences with this? How did it work? Is it a good idea? I am in my early 20's and if I had the option to live at my dojang I would be all for it. (Although I am sure many students' lifestyles wouldn't fit well into this scenario.) Really I want your opinions because I think it would be a great thing that I could maybe offer to students in the future, but what aspects about it have I not yet thought through?

Depending on where you are in the world I guess...

US
Zoning Laws
Insurance rates
security issues
Lease issues

Zoning Laws
Certain areas are zoned business and others residential, while some are in a place with blurry lines...if it is business there are usually rules against living in such a place as it now becomes a residence.

Insurance rates are based on the place being a business with certain hours and certain activities going on there. Once it becomes a residential atmosphere as well, rates will no doubt go up.

Security becomes an issue, as by letting students live in your building you are taking some bit of responsibility for their safety and security.

Lease issues. If you are leasing the property there will most likely be an issue of you "sub-letting" in any way. You should check that with the land-lord first.

Best in your venture,

Brian

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I lived in as a student for three months in japan it was definitely a life altering experience. Sometimes things like this are once in a life time so if your serious about it you should consider all the variables. Good luck with your desision

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on where you are in the world I guess...

US
Zoning Laws
Insurance rates
security issues
Lease issues

Zoning Laws
Certain areas are zoned business and others residential, while some are in a place with blurry lines...if it is business there are usually rules against living in such a place as it now becomes a residence.

Insurance rates are based on the place being a business with certain hours and certain activities going on there. Once it becomes a residential atmosphere as well, rates will no doubt go up.

Security becomes an issue, as by letting students live in your building you are taking some bit of responsibility for their safety and security.

Lease issues. If you are leasing the property there will most likely be an issue of you "sub-letting" in any way. You should check that with the land-lord first.

Best in your venture,

Brian

Very well put.

Latest Discussions