Lightweight champ B.J. Penn dominates Diego Sanchez

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-13-2009 01:51 AM:B.J. Penn showed just how far above he is over the rest of the UFC lightweight division, finishing off Diego Sanchez and keeping his belt with a doctor's stoppage in the fifth round. With a kick to the forehead, Penn gave Sanchez a huge cut and finished with a bevy of punches. With so much blood, the fight was stopped, with Penn as the winner.

After the fight, Penn said this was the bout he was looking for.

"I've kept my mouth shut, but I've always wanted to fight Diego. And he didn't say it, but I know he always wanted to fight me," Penn said.

B.J. Penn came out swinging, much as Diego Sanchez has done in previous fights. In the first round, Penn knocked Sanchez down with a right and tried to finish him off with a barrage of punches. Unbelievably, Sanchez survived and got back to his feet and finished the first round, but the round was unquestionably won by the defending champ.

Sanchez had a difficult time generating offense, as Penn countered every punch and blocked every takedown attempt. With every attempt, Penn landed punches and continued to damage Sanchez. For some reason, Sanchez's coach, Saulo Ribiero, continued to tell him to go for takedowns even though he had no shot at completing them. By Cagewriter's count, Sanchez tried for 16 takedowns and was unable to complete a single one.

Penn, who has often been maligned for not having good conditioning, had no problem with this fight. Sanchez's face was bruised up by the third round, whereas Penn took little damage. Penn wobbled Sanchez with a right in the fourth, and again in the fifth. Even between rounds, Penn didn't sit, and paced back and forth feverishly. He had energy to spare.

Though the UFC's lightweight division is loaded, it does not appear there are many who could challenge Penn. Kenny Florian showed his technical prowess with a win over Clay Guida tonight, but Penn defeated Florian in August. Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin and Frankie Edgar could all stake a claim on a title shot, but if Penn continues as he has in his last two fights, he won't give up his belt any time soon.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions