Lawmaker Apologizes for Memo Linking Evolution and Jewish Texts

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HOUSTON, Feb. 16 — A leader of the Texas House of Representatives apologized Friday for circulating an appeal to ban the teaching of evolution as derived from “Rabbinic writings” and other Jewish texts.
On Feb. 9, Mr. Chisum, 68, an 18-year veteran of the House and second in power only to the speaker, Tom Craddick, sent a memorandum to all 149 other state representatives in Texas.
The memorandum said that inquiries could be directed to the Fair Education Foundation, a group in Georgia, and gave its Web address, fixedearth.com. The site features items belittling the Holocaust and portraying Earth as stationary as depicted in the Bible, with Jewish thinkers like “Kabbalist physicist Albert Einstein” responsible for contrary scientific theories.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/us/17texas.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

And here is a copy of the memo in question: http://www.burntorangereport.com/upload/Chisum.pdf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If I had to choose between Hell and Texas, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell"

(from Uncle Sam, by Steve Darnell and Alex Ross)

I'm being a bit facetious but......sheeesh.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not just Texas, the Texas guy circulated it, but it originated from Ben Bridges:

(born August 30, 1940 in Madison County, Georgia) is a Republican member of the Georgia House of Representatives representing Cleveland, Georgia and Georgia's 10th district. He is chair of the Retirement Committee.

Although he did some back peddling:

Bridges says he had nothing to do with the memo, but the memo's author, Marshall Hall, says he had Bridges' approval. Hall is the husband of Bridges' campaign manager and president of the Fair Education Foundation. Bridges said he did not neccessarily disagree with Hall's view; he is quoted as saying, "I agree with it more than I would the Big Bang Theory or the Darwin Theory".

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is it possible that such lunatics can achieve such high standing in society? What the hell is wrong with people?

The one link tried to convince me that the Earth isn't really rotating, nor orbiting the sun. The 'Copernican Counterfeit', ROFL!!!

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wish I knew.

But, evolution vs Intellegent design seems to be a common fight in some places. This was a pathetic attempt to call evolution a religion and get it banned from schools.

I find the idea of banning the teaching of established scientific theory in schools rather unsettling.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How is it possible that such lunatics can achieve such high standing in society?

At least it's state-level government, not federal. :)

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe, but that's only because when Bush says he believes in the "Big Bang" he's talking about nucular bombs....

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a citizen of North Georgia (about 30 min. north of Cleveland) I can't tell you how humiliating this is. These are the same people that want to put disclaimer labels in science textbooks saying "evolution is a theory, not a fact" or some such silliness. Sheesh. We're not all ignorant hillbillies but it sure seems that way sometimes.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that if they want to do that, that's fine. But then they should also go over the criteria of what makes something a "theory" in the scientific sense, and how stacks of supporting evidence from various fields has led to it being as close to fact as science can get.

Then a section on falsifiability and what seperate science from pseudo science.

And put the same disclaimer on Gravity (It's just a theory, not a fact as well ;) )

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a citizen of North Georgia (about 30 min. north of Cleveland) I can't tell you how humiliating this is. These are the same people that want to put disclaimer labels in science textbooks saying "evolution is a theory, not a fact" or some such silliness. Sheesh. We're not all ignorant hillbillies but it sure seems that way sometimes.

Perhaps given their desire for such labels it should be suggested that all bibles carry similar disclaimers along the lines of "This book contains good stories with no evidence to support their validity."

I wonder how they would feel about that?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps given their desire for such labels it should be suggested that all bibles carry similar disclaimers along the lines of "This book contains good stories with no evidence to support their validity."

IMO, It would play right in to their hands. This has more to do with political power than it does religious beliefs.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry I back again. But as an anthropologist and archaeologist this sort of thing really annoys me. These desperate attempts to stop evolution being taught are little more than a lack of faith in their own beliefs and out and out cowardice. They fear that accepting evolutionary theory (yes it is true, it is a theory, but a very good one for explaining something we don't really understand) will erode the place of religion in society.

Personally, I don't think that this will ever happen. Religion offers people other things, not an explanation of how the world works which is what science is for. But for many of these anti-science fanatics there is an undertone they don't think can be seen. That is religion gives them power. Power over other people and that is what they really fear losing.

Sorry if I drifted a bit there, but I get very annoyed by these fanatics.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Which would lead to more news stories about how atheists are destroying everything and need to shut up and keep there beliefs to themself as the US is "On nation under GOD"

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No worries mate. The most useful phrase in the Australian language. Its good to see people picking up our good habits.

Had a boss several years ago that was from Oz. I picked it up from being around him. :D

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just speaking of Australia then made me think about religio-political power here. I live in Canberra, the national capital and we just don't see the level of interference in government and education from religious groups as seems the case in the US. I think it is because of two significant factors.

The first is a very clear and obvious thing. Because we have compulsory voting (Yes its a right, but we are forced to exercise it. Nobody seems to mind) they just don't get the percentages they need to put their politicians in office.

The second is the almost unilateral distrust of politicians. Yes we know they are necessary to run the country, but nobody trusts them. Even the politicians you vote for, and maybe like, you don't trust.

I've strayed somewhat from the topic but I think it may explain why the Intelligent Design freaks and their associated flotsam and jetsom don't do so well down here.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a Jew I found it extremely offensive.

And now we have to start an investigation to find out who leaked our secret documents. :mad:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

We Kansans welcome our Georgia brothers and sisters to the Hall of Shame! ;)

Latest Discussions