KT:Weapon Defense at Orange Belt

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Weapon Defense at Orange Belt
By J Ellis - 06-01-2010 09:19 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

The 16 and 24 technique EPAK curriculums (at least, as I've seen them structured) do not include a technique for defending against a weapon at the Orange Belt level. On the surface, this is a bit curious since the category has already been introduced at Yellow Belt.

Why do you think there isn't a technique for defending against a weapon included in the Orange Belt curriculum, and/or do you/does your school address weapon defenses at this level?

I have my own thoughts, but I'm interested in hearing what wiser heads have to say.

Joel

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my school, we moved "Checking the Storm" up to green belt and replaced it with the two falling techniques "Leap From Danger" and "Encounter With Danger".

The way I see it, and my staff agreed, I don't want any white, yellow or orange belt thinking any defense against a weapon other than hasty retreat. The last thing I want is a novice thinking they have the training to step to a club or knife.

FYI, we moved the falling techniques because, IMO, falling skills are the single most applicable physical self defense technique we teach. It's been years since I got in a fight, but I fall down every six months or so.