Knife you like best

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Fixed blades are better to use, but not as acceptable to carry around. So unless I am in the wilderness, I prefer folders.

Ditto, but I end up carrying bigger ones in the wilderness too. I figure if I'm gonna be where I can get away with openly whereing I might as well go big, kukris, machetes, ect.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Just wondering what you like better folder knifes or straight knifes and why

I prefer whatever is in my hand at the time.

I keep a fairly short fixed blade in my duty rig, and a folder in an accessible yet inconpicuous place. I used to pack a lot of steel back in the day. I guess I traded one type of steel for another.

Tim Kashino

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have gotten to the point where I actually make sure my folder is in my pocket before my wallet:rolleyes: although, I can depend on my wife to make sure I never forget the wallet and checkbook.
While it's a bit bulky I usually also have a leatherman on my belt or easily accessible, it's funny how often that thing has been very handy to have around even in every day life...

andy

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ABN
I have gotten to the point where I actually make sure my folder is in my pocket before my wallet:rolleyes: although, I can depend on my wife to make sure I never forget the wallet and checkbook.
While it's a bit bulky I usually also have a leatherman on my belt or easily accessible, it's funny how often that thing has been very handy to have around even in every day life...

andy

I have an original release Gerber Multipliers that I finally had to retire. The blade had gotten to the point where I just couldn't see sharpening it anymore and the allen screws kept coming loose.

I now carry a Leatherman, but it will take me some time to get used to it. I was able to draw the blades of the Gerber with one hand, but the Leatherman requires two handed opening.

Though both are useful, I miss my Gerber.

Cthulhu

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
You mean the Gerber that had the push button release on each side that allowed for one handed use? I had one of those as well and abused it. It was a great tool that is now sadly resting at the bottom of a swamp in Florida (I forgot to dummy cord it).
I liked the Gerber but my Leatherman is a lot more functional (wire cutters, needle nose pliers etc) and I am able to get it into places that I couldn't get my Gerber. It's a trade off, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

andy

T

TonyL

I am presently getting acquainted with new folders from Gerber the first is Applegate-Fairbairn® Mini Covert™
Product Number 6924 and the Applegate-Fairbairn® Combat™
Product Number 5780. I am sure you all know that these knives came from a legendary design of a fixed blade weapon.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ABN
You mean the Gerber that had the push button release on each side that allowed for one handed use? I had one of those as well and abused it. It was a great tool that is now sadly resting at the bottom of a swamp in Florida (I forgot to dummy cord it).
I liked the Gerber but my Leatherman is a lot more functional (wire cutters, needle nose pliers etc) and I am able to get it into places that I couldn't get my Gerber. It's a trade off, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

andy

Yep, those are the ones. The first run of the Multipliers had a design flaw that would cause the pliers to pinch the holy hell out of your palm or fingers if the pliers jaws slipped off of whatever you were doing. The newer ones eliminate this by not having the handles close all the way.

Cthulhu

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TonyL
I am presently getting acquainted with new folders from Gerber the first is Applegate-Fairbairn® Mini Covert™
Product Number 6924 and the Applegate-Fairbairn® Combat™
Product Number 5780. I am sure you all know that these knives came from a legendary design of a fixed blade weapon.

I'm familiar with the fixed blade design but, not the folders. What's your opinion so far?

T

TonyL

The mini is too to light and a little small to be considered a combat tool. As far as the Combat series my only complaint is, I would like to have a packet hook to allow the blade to open easily when you draw it

M

M F

As far as the Combat series my only complaint is, I would like to have a packet hook to allow the blade to open easily when you draw it

The only problem with this is that Emerson knives has a patent on this mechanism. It is called "The Wave." It is a very helpful feature.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets bump this back to the top and see what some of our newer members have to say.

Latest Discussions