KM Knife Defense

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought we could discuss the knife defenses found in KM. For the sake of discussion, we can talk about the overhead stab and the thrust to the stomach.

The defense is usually started by executing a forearm defense to the attacking arm, followed up by a simultaneous counter strike by the defender. The arm is then grabbed for control while additional strikes are applied, and finishing by disarming the knife.

I feel that the simultaneous block and counter strike is important, as this should hopefully stun the attacker enough to buy some time in between the other counter strikes and the disarm.

Any other thoughts on the methods of knife defenses that KM uses?

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I feel that the simultaneous block and counter strike is important, as this should hopefully stun the attacker enough to buy some time in between the other counter strikes and the disarm.

Any other thoughts on the methods of knife defenses that KM uses?

Mike

Yes. First of all, I found the KM knife defenses FAR more workable and realistic than the majority of techniques I learned in either TKD, Karate or JJJ. The basic concept of block/parry/stun/disarm is more probable, IMO, than the idea of catching or trapping their knive hand as the first step. However; drills in the basic block/counter will need to be fairly intense for the practitioner to be able to pull them off against an attacker not going in slow-motion. OTOH, some defenses I learned in one TKD school required the attacker to stop and remain still while you countered and disarmed. Not very practical compared to KM.

Latest Discussions