Khmer martial arts

brokenbonz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
looking for info on Khmer MA's

while browsing around I noticed some references on MA's like "bogotao" or
"bokato" anybody knows anything about this style?
and what about this other style i've seen once about fighting with scarves and another one with a weapon similar to a okinawan tonfa..?
names, techniques, anything?

thanx

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Similar not so much to tonfa but the mai sawk in krabi krabong is the Lbok Ktor, which I studied with a master in Cambodia who was just a master of that single weapon. He had sharpened both ends as points and was a quite good at it despite his advanced age. Again like the thai weapon it was strapped in and could be used strapped on to the forearm or free.

Kun Bockatour is the ancient angkor doors system which is the old combative application of the empty hand and weapons and quite unique.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig out some photos although I am away from home at the moment. They look actually close to the tonfa, same idea of a rice milling handle, but they generally are a little thicker, some wrap more around to cover a bit more of the forearm, there are usually two handles to adjust grip you can also slip down to the second to protect the knuckles in case the hand becomes vulnerable, as well as straps to strap them in tight to the forearm and as the cambodian did make the ends pointy for piercing into the target.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
blackdiamondcobra said:
I'll see if I can dig out some photos although I am away from home at the moment. They look actually close to the tonfa, same idea of a rice milling handle, but they generally are a little thicker, some wrap more around to cover a bit more of the forearm, there are usually two handles to adjust grip you can also slip down to the second to protect the knuckles in case the hand becomes vulnerable, as well as straps to strap them in tight to the forearm and as the cambodian did make the ends pointy for piercing into the target.

Lol, the things used in ong bak. . .god I hate referencing movies. They're not sharpened, though.

OP
B

brokenbonz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
do khmer and lao people have something like kobudo or stick fighting as well?

Latest Discussions