Kenpo Zones

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Last night in chat Mr. Conatser was kind enough to do a prelimary run on the upcoming live Question and Answer.

He discussed briefly the 3 basic zones of heighth. He also let me stumble around and try to think about how to take advantage of the zones opening and closing. Reading the movements to watch and see what zones will open and close with what type of movement.

Made me realize how much I am not thinking about when doing a technique. More reason to do the tech slow so one can think about what zones he/she is exposing when doing a strike, kick or an all out technique. It is kind of overwhelming to think about at times.

So the question at what level should a student start really considering these ideas. I am a very low level colored belt. While I understand the topics and ideas, I am still trying to work the techs well enough to meet my own expectations.

Salute

JD

R

RCastillo

Wait till you feel comfortable with the technique as a whole, then begin to explore it even more based on what you brought out.:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by JD_Nelson
At what level should a student start really considering these ideas (i.e., Zones and how to use them). I am a very low level colored belt. While I understand the topics and ideas, I am still trying to work the techs well enough to meet my own expectations.
Salute JD

Good Question JD.

Let me say that for this very reason is why at the white thru colored belt level I introduce the "Kenpo Tools" to the students. These "tools" are nothing more than the highlights or main understandings for the Kenpo System. Some of these tools are.....

The Analytical Study of Motion
Zone Concepts
Web of Knowledge
The 3 Divisions of the Art
3 Points of view
Principles and Concepts
3 Phases (I-WI-F)
3 Comprehension Phases
The Equation Formula
Master Keys
Methods of SD Attacks
Methods of Training for these attacks
Universal Pattern views and concepts
The 8 considerations
Others....

These are just a few.......

I want the lower ranked student to "know of" these topics/areas of study almost as soon as I can get it too them. I don't require that they "understand" all the areas , only that they are "aware of them" when they hear the terms in their basic form and understand the gist of them (to start with). The "advanced" student {Brown & Higher} however, is expected to "know of" and "know" these tools much better so as they can pass on the ideas as well. Of course the Black Belts are expected to "understand" these tools very well and continually expand on them.

As the student works thru the system, these topics will "pop up" all the time while teaching. While introducing or refining forms, sets, self defense techniques or freestyle, and I can then relate back to them for deeper understanding. This is one method of teaching the system which, I consider a part of "The Process" which is exactly what learning American Kenpo is........ A PROCESS.

There are many stages you must pass through while learning the system. You first need to learn all the drills (forms, sets, Self Defense Techniques, coordination's exercises, freestyle techniques, sayings, creeds, pledges, etc.) to develop a base from which you will continually expand throughout your life. Along this journey you will be always adding to your "bank of knowledge" with greater understanding of what you have learned so as to increase its effectiveness and understanding when you actually apply it to reality.

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Good Question JD.

Let me say that for this very reason is why at the white thru colored belt level I introduce the "Kenpo Tools" to the students. These "tools" are nothing more than the highlights or main understandings for the Kenpo System. Some of these tools are.....

Zone Concepts
Web of Knowledge
3 Points of view
Principles and Concepts
The Equation Formula
Master Keys
Methods of SD Attacks
The 8 considerations
Others....

These are just a few.......

I want the student to "know of" these topics/areas of study almost as soon as I can get it too them. I don't require that they "understand" all the areas , only that they are "aware of them" when they hear the terms in their basic form and understand the gist of them (to start with).

As the student works thru the system, these topics will "pop up" all the time while teaching. While introducing or refining forms, sets, self defense techniques or freestyle, and I can then relate back to them for deeper understanding. This is one method of teaching the system which, I consider a part of "The Process" which is exactly what learning American Kenpo is........ A PROCESS.

There are many stages you must pass through while learning the system. You first need to learn all the drills (forms, sets, Self Defense Techniques, coordination's exercises, freestyle techniques, sayings, creeds, pledges, etc.) to develop a base from which you will continually expand throughout your life. Along this journey you will be always adding to your "bank of knowledge" with greater understanding of what you have learned so as to increase its effectiveness and understanding when you actually apply it to reality.

Finally, after enons in time, you've made the "Kenpo Tools" totally clear to me, and I've been working on those. Thanks to High Kenpo Icon of the Desert!:asian: :cool: :)

B

brentb

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Good Question JD.

Zone Concepts
Web of Knowledge
3 Points of view
Principles and Concepts
The Equation Formula
Master Keys
Methods of SD Attacks
The 8 considerations
Others....

Mr C. These sound like an excellent topic for discussion. Some are familiar to me, others are a little cloudy. Could you elaborate on these a little more please, or is this something I can find in Infinite Insights?

thanks
Brent

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by brentb
Mr C. These sound like an excellent topic for discussion. Some are familiar to me, others are a little cloudy. Could you elaborate on these a little more please, or is this something I can find in Infinite Insights?
thanks, Brent

Thanks Brent. Most of the areas "are" in the "Infinite Insights" to some degree.

However.....

Like always if you have specific questions... feel free to go to my "Q & A String" and ask me what you wish...... so I can either answer your question {or others that might chime in and give their insights} or point you in the right direction somehow.

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
JD,
I'm not an authority in Kenpo, but been at it for some time. I would start looking at the "zones" and "what if" even at a orange/purple rank. That would be for your benefit to try and understand some of the concepts that goes with you and your opponent zones.

When you start in your training (advance concepts - the what if phase) you may have a better understanding to them and your reaction time may be quicker in picking up the what ifs'.

Also, your instructor is your best output for this info (and Mr. Conaster). And always remember that there is always an opposite or a reverse, for every motion, there is a counter-motion.

Ok, I'll shut up..lol

Your in Kenpo,
Bill Smith

OP
J

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Good point Mr. Smith!!

We touched on that briefly as well. I looked at the reverse as meaning reverse motion such as R reverse punch to L back elbow kind of the push and pull type.

Mr. C made me think about opposites the attacker or defender could use against an attack. I think this would be called a counter.

Lots of information. :)

Salute

JD

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
JD,
Yes, that would be a counter, but you would want to try to stay a head of the opponent. Which you would counter his/her counter and if need be; re-arrange the technique in order for it to be affective.

Sorry for rambling, its been awhile since I posted anything.

Bill Smith

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
What's the address for this chat people keep mentioning? Is it on DALNet? Ian.

No Ian, it is right here on Martial Talk. go up to the top of the page...... there you will see "chat room" click on it .... register a screen name and come chat.

Kaith has set up MT's on chatroom. No need to go anywhere else.

J

Jill666

Originally posted by JD_Nelson
Last night in chat Mr. Conatser was kind enough to do a prelimary run on the upcoming live Question and Answer.

He discussed briefly the 3 basic zones of heighth. He also let me stumble around and try to think about how to take advantage of the zones opening and closing. Reading the movements to watch and see what zones will open and close with what type of movement.

JD

And also, what zones to open, to draw the desired attack for your purposes :D What is the likely attack given your movements, and what do you plan to do about it.

Just something else to keep you awake at night- why should I be the only one. :mst:

LOL

There is so much! :erg:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one of those topics [and there are many others as well] that is good to be "known of" by the lower ranks {white - Green}, to be further examined or "known" by the mid ranks [brown], but really something to be hammered or "understood completely" by the Advanced ranks (black).

A very interesting topic, but I feel the lower levels can become consumed with the uniqueness of the pattern and not enough attention to the working and internalizing of much of the physical material that is necessary to develop the skills needed to be able to advance to the next level.

Work hard on your basics first and then add more of the intellectual material that is available.

The real "benefit" of this deeper knowledge {such as the zone concepts} is only useful in it's actual application during combat.

Latest Discussions