Kenpo and the Brain

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night my wife Barbara and I had the pleasure of attending a PBS segment being filmed. Dr. Daniel Amen,M.D. is a neuro-scientist, psychiatrist, and best selling author. The filming took about 4 hrs but the time flew by as it was all so interesting. He is also a yellow belt at our school. We were at the Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa. Dr. Amen had some great insight on how our brain controls so many functions of the body, in fact the name of the show is, “The Brain in Love”. This is also the name of his new book that will be released in August.
As Dr. Dave Crouch mentioned earlier in a post, the brain can be damaged by blunt force trauma as well as alcohol and drug abuse. Dr. Amen is in a new movie called “The Last Round”, which is about brain damage caused by boxing. This information has really impacted the way I look at contact at our school. With the recent death of Natasha Richardson in a skiing accident, and the overwhelming evidence of brain damage to NFL players, it is obvious to me that we need to be extra vigilant in protecting our students. The idea of hitting a soccer ball with your head, as an example, is dangerous. In a system that is based on logic, we have to apply logic to living our lives and the way we approach our sports.
The good news that I want to share with you is that Dr. Amen mentioned last night that there are tremendous benefits of studying kenpo karate. The obvious physical exercise, which leads to a healthier brain, is over shadowed by the fact that kenpo stimulates the brain and enhances thinking, cognitive flexibility, and processing speed. You have to get your hands, your eyes, and your feet to all work together at the same time, while you are thinking about your curriculum. What a great thing to be able to share with parents that their children can become smarter as a result of their training in kenpo. For those of us who have a passion for kenpo, this is one more great attribute for what we do.
Alcohol, caffeine, bad diet, and lack of exercise can lead to negative reactions to the brain. He has proven that keeping your brain healthy leads to a longer and more productive life. I suggest reading Dr. Amen`s books and if you get a chance watch his PBS shows.
Respectfully,
Bob White

Latest Discussions