Judo is the Way of Maximum Efficiency

Jaz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The term 柔, pronounced Ju, traditionally refers to the act of yielding. Jigoro Kano felt that, in regards to Judo, it meant something more. This video briefly explains why Kano believed this, and how he defined it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The grip fight at 1.24 - 1.32 requires strength. To tear apart your opponent's strong grips cannot be done by soft principle. If you can't break apart your opponent's monster grips, none of your throws will work.

You can only use soft when you wait for an opportunity to happen. If you want to create an opportunity, you will need hard.

OP
J

Jaz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The grip fight at 1.24 - 1.32 requires strength. To tear apart your opponent's strong grips cannot be done by soft principle. If you can't break apart your opponent's monster grips, none of your throws will work.

You can only use soft when you wait for an opportunity to happen. If you want to create an opportunity, you will need hard.
Not necessarily. It's more about using the most efficient way to achieve the outcome. Yes, you can use strength to break the grip but your grip break will be more efficient if you go in the direction of where the opponent's grip is weaker, as well as use two hands against their one hand etc. That way, your grip break is more efficient and you use less energy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It's more about using the most efficient way to achieve the outcome. Yes, you can use strength to break the grip but your grip break will be more efficient if you go in the direction of where the opponent's grip is weaker, as well as use two hands against their one hand etc. That way, your grip break is more efficient and you use less energy.
It depends on the definition of "soft". Soft force is yield, sticky, follow, ... IMO, tearing, cracking, shaking, ... (force used in grip fight) are not soft force.

I like the term "maximum efficiency". I just don't like the term "soft". Soft by itself is not enough. One needs to use both soft and hard.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jaz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the definition of "soft". Soft force is yield, sticky, follow, ... IMO, tearing, cracking, shaking, ... (force used in grip fight) are not soft force.

I like the term "maximum efficiency". I just don't like the term "soft". Soft by itself is not enough. One needs to use both soft and hard.
And that is why Jigoro Kano used the term 'Maximum Efficiency' to define the interpretation of 'Ju' in Judo. He recognised that there are moments when you do need to use strength, or 'hardness'. There has to be a balance. For Kano, it was more important to follow the principle of 'Maximum Efficiency' rather than adhere to just 'Soft', 'Gentle' or 'yielding'. You can use a balance of 'hard' and 'soft' but you must use them 'efficiently'. I think we're saying the same thing, to be honest.