John McCain for 08?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been predicting since 2000 that John McCain will be running for Pres. as soon as Bush is term limited. I am convinced that he will at least run in the primary.

So, what has he done for the country, good or bad? Just wondering what data and opinions you all have on him...

Paul

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love it for him to run. That man is an actual hero and made the most out of his situation after being mained from his exploding aircraft during vietnam. He is of good charactor and I couldn't think of a better person for run for my party.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wish he would have won the past primary vs Bush.....I would vote McCain over the worst president we have ever had any day.

Anyway since it is related to party lines I think that the Republican Party is going to have trouble because Bush is such an $%%^^^%#@$@#$@#

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like McCain alot and unfortunately for all of us, I do not believe that
he can win the Republican nomination. Good guy, nice, intelligent, seems to be morally sound. Unfortunately for him the Republican party does not
seem to be behind him. However as a VP for probable front runner Guilianni he may get his foot in the door.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the GOP will be a lot more receptive to a person with some intellect versus a legacy next time after this last term. Last I checked my part was supposed to impose less govt...Guess our buddy in office skipped that civics class.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I However as a VP for probable front runner Guilianni he may get his foot in the door.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Rudy Guilianni is probably not electable-and knows it. I'd be very surprised to see him get the nomination, or do anything more than pursue it through a few primaries before throwing in with someone else for a lesser job. He went through an extremely messy and public divorce while mayor of New York, and there are more than a few quesitonable things in his tenure as a federal prosecutor. Most importantly, though, he has stepped on the toes of far too many in his own party to garner the right kind of support he needs.

Rudy Giuliani's history could be summed up in these decidedly un-Rpeublican ways:a social liberal, in favor of gun control, immigration, and legal abortion; a two-time divorcé; a bully, and a gay-friendly roommate.

He's offended his party in the past by his penchant for unpredictable, independent-minded behavior—like when he endorsed Cuomo over George Pataki for governor in 1994, or as recently as 2000, when he encouraged John McCain in the New York Republican primary before eventually joining up with the Bush campaign.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no particular order, Senator McCain:

Reached a compromise on the Democrats use of a judicial filibuster in the Senate.

Attached the McCain Detainee Amendment to the 2005 Defense Appropriations Bill.

In 2001, he voted for a few amendments to decrease the cuts aimed at upper-income tax payers and increase the relief aimed at those taxpayers towards the bottom of the scale. He ultimately voted against the second tax cut passed in 2003 and has been vocal in his opposition to permanently eliminating the estate tax.

Votet against the Federal marriage Amendment.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Senator McCain is far more conservative than is generally accepted by the public. That the Washington Media (Russert, Stephenopolous, et al) view him, and portray him as a 'maverick' and 'outsider' furthers the myth that he is more mainstream than he actually votes.

Sadly, in the past six years, it seems the Senator has embraced party over principle. A cold calculation that ambition trumps ideology.

The most interesting rumor floating around recently is that Cheney will resign after the 06 elections, and McCain will be rewarded with the Veep chair from which to run his Presidential bid.

Senator McCain might have had my vote in 2000. But were he on a National ballot in 2004, he would not have. Nor will he in 2008.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as embracing party over principle, I believe McCain is doing what he believes he has to to get past the primaries. He is Allying himself with Bush in terms of verbal support any chance he can, even though he has had his disagreements with the Pres.

This illustrates an inherent problem with our system. You have to make it past the primaries to get a shot at the public election. And it is generally only the party puppets who make it past primaries large national elections. Canidates have to be concerned with the parties best interests first to make it, even if it means sacrificing values. Third parties are never options for those who want to get elected due to lack of funding. So, we are usually left with the "lesser of two evils" by the time the actual election rolls around.

But I digress. There have been rumors since after 9-11 of Cheney stepping down and lining someone else up to take the job, and these came to a head right before the 04' election. These are only rumors though. Always have been....not substantiated by fact. Just like the idea of Gulianni (SP?) running. Evidence points out that this is also highly unlikely given his current business interest in the private sector and his lack of visability right now.

Anyways....enough about that. good info so far...but once again, I am looking for a list of stuff he has done more then anything else....

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The reason I don't think McCain would be a good choice for president is the reason I like him so much. He is just so brutally honest. In politics, there are times when you need to be more delicate. I know that, and I do like it when someone like McCain just tells things as the are. But I would not want that voice in too high a position of power.

The example I can best remember is when he was in Vietnam as part of a diplomatic visit and said that the wrong side won the war. I winced at what that could do to the diplomatic relations of the US, but part of me wanted to cheer.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I agree. He does seem very sincere when he speaks.

ahem... speaking is what a politician does best. an actor can speak convincingly. look at their votes and reasons behind them. I'd rather have a great president with sound judgement and stammering speech than a president thats eloquent but horrible judgement.

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a lot of respect for McCain until a couple things happened:

1- He has denounced MMA and has done all he can to get it banned.
2- He was the first to get swiftboated and, like Kerry, didn't fight back and kick Alfred E Newman- oops, sorry, I mean the President's *** into oblivion.
3- He has followed the swiftboating of his career into stepping in line with the current administration (I will admit, sometimes he seems to be trying to corrupt from within and get a bit more of his agenda across) and has let his own toughness and positions be compramised to keep his political head above water.

I am not sure if I could support him now if he caves under pressure from the far right.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I have been predicting since 2000 that John McCain will be running for Pres. as soon as Bush is term limited. I am convinced that he will at least run in the primary.

So, what has he done for the country, good or bad? Just wondering what data and opinions you all have on him...

Paul

Paul:

Sadly, I think politics has turned more towards spin & image than what someone has "actuallt done." Hence, we has a lotta folks speaking to what they think of McCain as a person. For me, I liked the fact he pushed for a federal boxing commision. Too bad it hasn't gone far. But, its (politics) still about image.

Last week, he was quoted (repeatedly) as saying, "We've gotta support the President." Seems to me, its cuz he wants to get in the good graces of the Party as he ramps up for an '08 bid. If he can do it, he's (at least) a live candidate (IMOA).

McCain vs. Barack Obama in '08. That would a race with 2 live candidates. I think.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
ahem... speaking is what a politician does best. an actor can speak convincingly. look at their votes and reasons behind them. I'd rather have a great president with sound judgement and stammering speech than a president thats eloquent but horrible judgement.

I disagree with you on the notion that speaking is what a politicion does best. There are a lot of politicians who don't do well speaking compared to other things. And the best speaker doesn't always win, and for a case in point look at the last presidential race. Plus, I think it is much more difficult for a politician to appear sincere. He has to be a really good actor, or actually sincere.

But I do agree with you that the appearance of sincerity doesn't mean that the politician is a good canidate. This is why I am asking specifically about McCains record rather then just what everyone thinks about him...

Paul

Latest Discussions