Jiang Shu - interesting take on continuing traditions

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
At the Baltimore national USKSF tournament, friends of mine who went were impressed and interested in a sport application for traditional chinese sword technique.

The website of the people producing the product and working on creating the event is www.worldjianshu.org and there are some vids of them performing.

Thought I would ask ya'll your opinion and your take on the effort.

Best regards,

Rob

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
European swordsmanship and Japanese swordsmanship both have sports, why not Chinese? I think it would be a fun way to apply and test jian skills. They don't have any pictures of what sort of protective equipment they'd use, though. Fencing armor would probably be appropriate...kendo armor less so, too bulky for the precise techiques and footwork.

OP
R

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Apparently they wear chest protectors, gloves similiar to hockey gloves and fencing masks.

The sword technology they have worked out seems very interesting to me. There are videos on the site. If you cant find them, search youtube using 'usksf 2007' and you should see some there. The equipment being used is what they are working on implementing.

Best regards,

Rob

*edit to correct year, apparently I was travelling in time....

Latest Discussions