Iraq elections under scrutiny

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/iraq

Looks like they are learning a good bit about the democratic process. Learned alot from our recent past elections!

Either way, it was good to see that the elections were relatively peaceful. I look forward to the day democracy takes hold in Iraq and the middle east in general. Democracy might not look exactly like our implementation, and thats ok, but its still a great step forward!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/iraq

Looks like they are learning a good bit about the democratic process. Learned alot from our recent past elections!

Either way, it was good to see that the elections were relatively peaceful. I look forward to the day democracy takes hold in Iraq and the middle east in general. Democracy might not look exactly like our implementation, and thats ok, but its still a great step forward!

Yes, they have been holding elections in Iran for twenty years now; a great step forward. I suppose that the President has called for moving Israel is just what Liberty brings us, eh?

Oh, and then there were the election in the Palestinian Territories, seems the Palestinians like Hamas, but that's only after the elected leader, Yassar Arafat, died.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Yes, they have been holding elections in Iran for twenty years now; a great step forward. I suppose that the President has called for moving Israel is just what Liberty brings us, eh?

Oh, and then there were the election in the Palestinian Territories, seems the Palestinians like Hamas, but that's only after the elected leader, Yassar Arafat, died.
Yes, Iranian 'democracy'. You can vote for mullah 1 or mullah 2. If we use your definition, michael, Iraq has had elections too for quite some time. You could vote for Saddam pose 1, Saddam pose 2, or Saddam pose 3.

It's funny how elitists like to muddy the waters when it comes to definitions. It's because those that are able to alter the definitions to fit their arguments, can control the arguments....unless they're arguing with someone who knows their little game.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm an 'elitist'. ... puh-leeze

I suppose it was nice to see that the candidate that previously had received a monthly salary from the Department of Defense, Ahmed Chalabi, recieved so few votes, he is outside any margin of error, and will likely not even retain a seat in the legislative body.

The heavily backed, well financed campain of Ayd Alawi (backed by the US and British governments) recieved about 13% of the vote, and will likely be irrelevant in the new legislature.

The United States Ambassador to Iraq, Zilmay Khalilzad, had this to say:
It looks as if the people have preferred to vote for their ethnic or sectarian identities. But for Iraq to succeed there has to be cross-ethnic and cross-sectarian co-operation."

Well, it's nice to see we finally have a definition of success to go with the President's Plan for Victory. According to the US Embassador, Success will require "cross-ethnic and cross-sectarion co-operation", which he tells us was not visible in this election.

It is also nice to see Muqtada al-Saddr recieved a wonderful showing in the election. A year ago, the United States Military was furiously fighting this man (Kill or Capture), and his militia in Najaf ... He looks to be one of the power brokers in Iraq.

Yes, a wonderful showing for democracy. Iran must be very pleased.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Today, the Washington Post reports this:

BAGHDAD, Dec. 23 -- A coalition of more than 60 political parties threatened Thursday to boycott Iraq's next parliament and warned of a surge in violence if new nationwide elections were not held.

Otherwise, "we will not have any other choice but to boycott the political process and the coming parliament," said the statement, read aloud during a news conference attended by representatives from most of the parties involved. "This would lead to more struggle and bloody violence and threat to the Iraqi entity and its people."

Latest Discussions