Introduction to the Martial Arts Class

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recently I had the opportunity to perform some experiments with martial arts teaching and I thought I would report the results of those experiments here. One of the experiments I performed involved teaching a class where I covered several different martial arts, intending to introduce non-martial artists to the various arts that are available on Oahu.

I was able to get some guest instructors from various studios to pop by the class on the week that I taught various aspects of their arts. I chose arts that I have rank and/or direct experience, these arts being Karate, Tang Soo Do, Judo/Jujutsu, Tai Chi, Arnis de Mano/Kali, and Jeet Kune Do. Next time, I'm going to see if I can pull in an instructor from an art not on my CV and see if he'll stay for a week and teach. I'd like to pull Aikido into the mix.

Anyway, it's great to see a group of kids who really didn't know much about the martial arts (and were interested) have the opportunity to try them on and see which one fit. The classes were two hours long and we were able to cover a surprising amount of material, enough to get a basic idea.

Latest Discussions