Interesting Observation

S

Shadow Hunter

I was just thinking....

If a man leaves the toilet seat up, he is a cad. Because a female needs the seat to be down, the man is a cad because he makes her work before she can use the thing.

So, why are females allowed to leave the toilet down where men will have to work before they can use it?

:rolleyes:

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because special-ops ninja-warrior secret agents have coped with vertical toilet seats in their checkered pasts and, while they are often reluctant to talk about the psychological aftermath, are presumed to be able to handle the situation.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Honestly Phil,

Do you contribute anything positive to the internet? Or do you just stalk those folks you find a threat to your fantasy of being an unbeatable killer?

There have beena few people tossed off of this board for jumping in on threads of people they don't like. Are you getting ready to join them?

If you want to talk about the subject at hand, fine. But this type of stalking only makes you look foolish.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe it was the toilet seat analogy and the fact that it was in the "bar and grill", but I thought (as Phil seems to have) that this thread was satire. I got at least a small chuckle from Phil's post. I don't know the history of your relationship with Phil here so I won't comment on any perceived harrasment. If this post was meant to be on a serious note then perhaps it could have been worded as "Why is there a double standard in society for what is acceptable behavior from men and women?"

To answer your original question, it has always just been considered what a gentleman does for me. Kinda like opening a door for a lady. Sure, she can open it herself but if I can do this one little thing for her then why not. As to why such a big deal is made out of it.....well, that would require an in depth look into the psyche of a woman and that, my friend, is a trip that I just don't wanna take.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:lol:

I'm writing an editorial for my magazine in which I discuss the tendency of those wrapped up in worlds of martial arts fantasy to take any and all criticism as a personal affront.

:boing2:

If anybody here has fantasies of being an unbeatable killer, Ninja-boy, it'd be you.

Originally posted by Shadow Hunter in the "Why Knife Arts Will Get You Killed" thread

I do not mean to brag but, every single FMA or knife guru I know of would die if they did what they do unarmed against me with a knife. I would have to deal with some bruises and injuries from what they would do to me, but I would only have to tag them a few times to kill them. If we both had knives, the dynamics would change. But if I really wanted to kill them I would not attack them while they had a knife. So what they do is not suited for the strategy I would use when I knew that the only knife in the fight was mine. If they had a knife and got it out, I would run. If they tried their stuff that works against someone used to fighting another person with a knife I would kill them. That is not bragging, it is just the reality of the situation.

I can expect a lot of people to scream about this. But I will stand by my position. I know how to kill the typical guy who calls himself a knife fighter. If he is unarmed and I have a knife then I will be able to take advantage of his conventional thinking and stick him repeatedly while only taking some minor damage in return. It is not pretty, it is not duelling and it is not knife "fighting". It is a way of killing someone who has no knife with knife every time. And the more used you are to knife fighting, the more vulnerable you are to the techniques.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an FMA instructor let me share something with you. I only use my knife after I run out of bullets.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay- well, I was thinking the reason would be because anyone can come along and sit on a toilet seat with it down and assuming it is clean, be pretty safe.........but NOBODY wants to sit on a toilet that has the seat up.........so to me, putting it down seems to be the best bet for all concerned.

:asian: :karate:

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Phil,
You have proven me correct. I destroyed your fantasy of being a unkillable knife fighter and now you are going to hijack threads and stalk me throughout Martialtalk until I leave.

Your last post had nothing to do with the subject at hand. It was merely your mean-spirited attempt to take me down and drive me away.

So much for a friendly atmosphere at this web site.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take the argument to PM if you would, please. This could be a very fun thread without the in-fighting.

Anyone have other examples of a "double standard" like this? I remember getting cussed out by a woman for holding the door open to a convenience store for her. She let me know that I was a chauvanist for thinking she couldn't manage to open a door on her own. I suppose instead of standing there and looking at her as if she were crazy I could have responded "It's not that you're a woman, this is what I was taught to do for the elderly regardless of being a man or woman." Oh, well, hind sight and all that.;)

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phil I do not know how you do it but people seem to seek you out just to jump on you

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I leave the toilet seat up Im watering the dog.

If I leave it down I have to fill his regualr bowl.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always leave it down out of respect for my any women who might be around, but the whole thing still seems stupid to me.

What is the big deal? I heard one woman say that she can tell weather a guy is considerate or not based on whether or not the toilet seat should be left up or down. When I asked her why it would be inconsiderate to leave it up, she couldn't give me a good answer, just scalded me for asking the question.

I have yet to actually hear a good explaination on this one to date. Can anyone help with this? :confused:

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
I was just thinking....

If a man leaves the toilet seat up, he is a cad. Because a female needs the seat to be down, the man is a cad because he makes her work before she can use the thing.

So, why are females allowed to leave the toilet down where men will have to work before they can use it?

:rolleyes:

I'm single and my toilet seats are always down. I think it's considerate for any male when they come over to put the seat back down since they don't live there - it's not fun to sit in the middle of the night and fall in and that's almost happened. But since I have 2 bathrooms now, I just send them in one so if they leave it up, no biggie!

This is one of those questions in life that will forever remain a mystery, much like why do 2 females have to go to the bathroom at the same time. I'm female and I can't figure that one out.

So just understand that you will never understand and all will be right with the world!!!!!!! Believe me, this way of thinking has helped me tremendously in trying to figure out some of the things you guys do. :rofl:

MartialArtsChic

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by theletch1

I remember getting cussed out by a woman for holding the door open to a convenience store for her. She let me know that I was a chauvanist for thinking she couldn't manage to open a door on her own. I suppose instead of standing there and looking at her as if she were crazy I could have responded "It's not that you're a woman, this is what I was taught to do for the elderly regardless of being a man or woman." Oh, well, hind sight and all that.;)

I like when a door is held open for me. Just shows the mark of a gentlemen with manners in my opinion.

I have seen some old people go off when a door is held open and can't figure that one out since they came from a time where doors were opened for them all the time and coats put across puddles. I've also seen some younger woman going through that "I am woman, hear me roar" thing and go off on people for opening a door and stuff. All I can think is get over yourself, they are doing something nice.

Go Figure.

MartialArtsChic

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha!! Yes- good point!! Will we EVER figure each other out? Somehow I don't think so. I wonder if back in caveman days there was something similar or if it was pretty much a non-issue back then. They wouldn't have had toilets.......so maybe it was something like "Why do those men/women never turn the rock back over when they are done" or some such thing..........:rofl:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree- nice to have a man (or anyone for that matter) pause to hold the door open for you. The thing that bugs me is when you go out of your way to hold the door open for someone and they just breeze right through without a look or a word like it was their right, and your job, to hold the door for them.

I had an old man mistakingly go off on me a few years back at the post office- I was at the counter and realized I needed more money so I asked the clerk if I could go back out to my car really quick and grab some change. When I got back and went back to the counter I had been at, the elderly man at the front of the line started shouting "Hey- Hey!!! What's a-matter with youth these days?? And a young lady nonetheless........I was in line next Ms.!! You need to wait your turn- weren't you taught any manners.......etc, etc". The postal clerk came to my rescue as I stood there turning multiple shades of red!! I have to say I understood how the man felt though- not knowing the whole situation. I have had both young and old cut in front of me in line, be rude in my direction, etc........I just try to do my part and remember to try to be polite to everyone when out in public........but you are not always going to see the same in return!! And remember.........it is almost Christmas shopping season...........Yikes!!

:asian: :karate:

Latest Discussions