Interesting article on the Draft

P

PeachMonkey

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/19/opinion/19krugman.html?oref=login&hp

"Those who are worrying about a revived draft are in the same position as those who worried about a return to budget deficits four years ago, when President Bush began pushing through his program of tax cuts. Back then he insisted that he wouldn't drive the budget into deficit - but those who looked at the facts strongly suspected otherwise. Now he insists that he won't revive the draft. But the facts suggest that he will.

There were two reasons some of us never believed Mr. Bush's budget promises. First, his claims that his tax cuts were affordable rested on patently unrealistic budget projections. Second, his broader policy goals, including the partial privatization of Social Security - which is clearly on his agenda for a second term - would involve large costs that were not included even in those unrealistic projections. This led to the justified suspicion that his election-year promises notwithstanding, Mr. Bush would preside over a return to budget deficits.

It's exactly the same when it comes to the draft. Mr. Bush's claim that we don't need any expansion in our military is patently unrealistic; it ignores the severe stress our Army is already under. And the experience in Iraq shows that pursuing his broader foreign policy doctrine - the "Bush doctrine" of pre-emptive war - would require much larger military forces than we now have."

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is another Bush lie. The Selective Service is currently updating a plan for a draft of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I believe you will see a draft no matter who gets in, but if they deny, we need to be aware, of the problem we are going to face for a long time.

Today I was talking to another at the Dojo, they actually believe we were taken over by an illegal act and Bush Should not be Pres, worrie to death for this election was the term used...

Draft or no, it is still who is saying what, and who can you trust?

I have heard the question, 'when asking about a politician lieing'. The answer is when his lips are moving...

Pretty sad situation if that is the case.

Regards, Gary

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Being 20 YEAR US Military Vet in the job of Military Police and being now a Nurse in the Civie side of the world. I would be concerned with a draft also I have two teenagers both are turning 16 and 14 this year.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
This is another Bush lie. The Selective Service is currently updating a plan for a draft of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers.
P44 - perhaps you can provide some backup to this claim since this would be concerning.

Regards - Glenn.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i don't have the exact numbers...but i'm sure someone here can post them...but the selective service recently had a HUGE budget increase

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
From the NY times: Healthcare Contingency Draft

From the Charlotte Observer: Pentagon Plans draft of medics

I know I've seen more, but those are 2 that stood out from a 10-second google search.

Nice research Moose.

GAB said:
I believe you will see a draft no matter who gets in, but if they deny, we need to be aware, of the problem we are going to face for a long time.

Not if they get a quick exit strategy to get out.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A draft would be political suicide. I would expect Kerry to do anything in his power to avoid it, as he has the potential for two terms. Bush, on the other hand, would be working on his last possible term if elected, and needn't concern himself with those types of thoughts. I would expect a draft call from him.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
A draft would be political suicide. I would expect Kerry to do anything in his power to avoid it, as he has the potential for two terms. Bush, on the other hand, would be working on his last possible term if elected, and needn't concern himself with those types of thoughts. I would expect a draft call from him.
Very good perspective. I hadn't even thought of that.

The longer the war continues, and the more expansive it becomes, the more likely a draft would be necessary. I believe that Bush is more likely to continue on this course (because he has told us so), and that Kerry is more likely to develop an exit strategy. I think a draft is more likely under Bush.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally,

Id put down money we wont see one in the next 4 years... regardless of who's in office...

I cant back that up... it's just a Gut feeling...

But regardless of what people on both sides of the fence think... the President is not "Emperor of the United States" nor is he soley responsible for everthing that happens...

Let us not forget, Kiddos... congress... the senate...

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Ah yes...Condoleeza Rice as National Security Advisor; our esteemed Attorney General (who, if memory serves, got beat in his last election by a dead guy); Tom De Lay--guardiands of our civil rights and liberties.

I feel better already.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Ah yes...Condoleeza Rice as National Security Advisor; our esteemed Attorney General (who, if memory serves, got beat in his last election by a dead guy); Tom De Lay--guardiands of our civil rights and liberties.

I feel better already.
Robert,

Since a draft would have to be approved by congress I have my doubts...wait it has already been proposed in Congress. HR 163 and S89. GD, it seems Condoleeza and TD must have allies in Charles Rangel and Ernest Hollings. Checks and balances seem to have failed us all.