Ice Road Truckers

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A History Channel new series is called Ice Road Truckers. It is about the Ice Road in the Northwest Territories of Canada. It takes about one month to make the road and they only get to use it for about two months of the year. The rest of the year either their customers go without supplies. I guess they could possible pay to have them brought in by helicopter, but as another History channel show stated it costs 3 gallons of fuel to bring in two gallons of fuel in the Antarctic so I guess it may not be cost effective. The ground is all soft the rest of the year. So they build roads on the lakes and over the tundra using water.

I liked the initial show they did on this a couple of years ago. I watched the premiere theother noight and it is on again tonight at 10:00 PM DST.

I am not sure if I like the competition they have made within the show. Each of the six drivers they are following will keep track of the loads they deliver. I guess the drivers do it anyways for bragging rights. Yet this is kind of like a reality show now, so while it is informative about the Tli-cho People and the delivery of the supplies, it may also turn into another drama show.

I am not sure I would or will like the drama, but I like the information.

FYI

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doing the ice road trucker thing is something I considered doing when I was younger and just starting to drive 18s. Every now and then I'll see a documentary about it on tv, mention doing it and get one of those looks from the wife that says "Try something that dangerous and I'll kill you."

Latest Discussions