How to punch more effectively ?

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
How good are you at jamming kicks? He throws a lot of snappy front kicks where he just kind of flicks his leg at you the way a lot of boxers might throw a jab. These are effective for gauging distance or to use as a distraction to set up another attack but if you're trained on jamming kicks you can do so here to get in close and break his balance. Additionally, pay attention to his rear hand when he throws those kicks, on several occasions it drops all down to waist level leaving nothing to defend his face - if you can time his jab-kicks well enough to be able to jam them, there's nothing stopping you from landing a lead hook, it will go right around his lead hand and his power hand is way down at waist level, making it useless to defend your lead hook.

A lot of times there are also details that are very easy to miss. It's easy to catch them when I'm watching a video but it takes a lot of training to be able to follow it during an actual sparring session. For example, at 0:17 you threw a front kick, he used his lead hand to block it, and you threw your left hand at him - his right hand was still up which made your left easy to parry. This probably wasn't even a blip on your radar at the time because most people aren't making a conscious effort to catch these types of openings. However, if you had thrown a right instead he would've either hand to awkwardly moved his right hand across his body to parry it (not likely to work) or brought his lead hand up to parry it faster than your right hand would've found the mark (not gonna happen unless he has Roy Jones Jr type speed and you're slow as sh1t).

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
For class yesterday. i created a simple game plan. Use 3-4 punch combinations to set up a turning kick. The kick would either be to the body or head, whatever was open. I also tried to get away from doing techniques in singles. Using 3-4 techniques at a time, to get into the habit of creating and building combinations. I was attempting these combinations with a purpose. Not just throwing A,B,C,D but having intent for D to land somewhere.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For class yesterday. i created a simple game plan. Use 3-4 punch combinations to set up a turning kick. The kick would either be to the body or head, whatever was open. I also tried to get away from doing techniques in singles. Using 3-4 techniques at a time, to get into the habit of creating and building combinations. I was attempting these combinations with a purpose. Not just throwing A,B,C,D but having intent for D to land somewhere.

You need to turn your. Hips when you punch because you're doing combos but you're punches are always falling short turn your hips you get more range and people will watch out more for them

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
You need to turn your. Hips when you punch because you're doing combos but you're punches are always falling short turn your hips you get more range and people will watch out more for them

Yeah, that was frustrating me a bit, We are taught to retract to so damn much, that every time I would try to throw more punch my opponent would kept evading backwards. I try more hip twist to get some extra range. Also have to keep practicing getting inside more.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Use 3-4 punch combinations to set up a turning kick ...
It's common to use

- kick to set up punch,
- punch to set up clinch,
- clinch to set up throw,
- throw to set up ground game.

It's not common to use punch to set up kick. If your opponent is moving back faster than your advance, your kick won't land hard on him.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's common to use

- kick to set up punch,
- punch to set up clinch,
- clinch to set up throw,
- throw to set up ground game.

It's not common to use punch to set up kick. If your opponent is moving back faster than your advance, your kick won't land hard on him.

If you are punching someone close range and they back up to get out of your punches range wouldn't that open up your kicking range?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are punching someone close range and they back up to get out of your punches range wouldn't that open up your kicking range?
It's hard to have a "knock out" kick when your opponent's body is moving back.

Compare these 3 cases. You move in, your opponent

1. also moves in.
2. is not moving.
3. moves back.

Which case will give you the best knock out power by your kick?

IMO, 1 > 2 > 3

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

1. also moves in.
2. is not moving.
3. moves back.

IMO, 1 > 2 > 3
He's not trying to knock his sparring partner out

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's sparring you're not trying to finish anything in sparring
IMO, sparring is not if you punch me, I'll punch you back. If you kick me, I'll kick you back. Sparring is to develop your "entering strategy" to achieve your "finish strategy".

You first develop your favor "finish moves". You then develop your favor "set-up moves" to achieve your goal. The "finish move" can be as simple as a punch on the face, or a kick on the chest. The "set-up moves" can be complicate.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1. also moves in.
2. is not moving.
3. moves back.

IMO, 1 > 2 > 3
Moving backwards when some kicks puts you within the power range of a kick, which is why it's bad to move backwards when someone kicks. This was actually visible in the video when his opponent moved backwards to escape the punch but resulted in his opponent being in the danger zone for the kick.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think you know more than enough to build a good foundation for punching. Compare your latest video to your first videos and you'll see that your kicks to the head are more effective. You still have a hint of retreat when you punch but that will improve as you get comfortable with throwing punches. Right now it's just habit for you to punch and retreat backwards after a punch. I think you'll do well as you continue to experiment with punch combinations and finding one that fits you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the following clip, he used exactly the same "set up" to achieve his goal twice within 15 seconds.

I believe it's also possible to apply this kind strategy in "striking" only sparring.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In a light contact setting, good punches are very difficult, since generally you back off at the sight of a kick. Also you should really invest some time in learning the check block; it's extremely versatile: blocks, fakes, frames, jams, you name it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Just realized your partner was wearing glasses.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You are still giving away free kicks. Try to return a shot straight after he kicks you.

Nice work on the low punches head kick.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are still giving away free kicks. Try to return a shot straight after he kicks you.

Nice work on the low punches head kick.

Thank for the compliment on the head kicks! regarding the free kicks, I will try and make those kicks cost a little bit more in the future. I have to get out of the habit of retreating so much. I have been doing it for the last 18 months.Just a couple weeks ago really was able to see how it constricted me.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The idea of coming into a sparring session with that sort of specific game plan is excellent and will definitely speed up your learning process.

The problem with the execution in this case is that all of your punches were out of range. Literally, if your sparring partner has dropped his hands, closed his eyes, and stood perfectly still every time you punched, your punches would have missed him by about a foot in most cases.

Even if your punches are only intended to set up your kicks, they have to be a credible threat to serve that purpose. If we were sparring and you threw punches like that at me, I would ignore them and they wouldn't help at all in landing your kicks. Move close enough so you can actually hit your opponent with your punches. If he moves back to get away from your punches, then he'll be moving right into your ideal kicking range.

Latest Discussions