How my first tourny went

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not bad for being my first :) I placed 2nd in forms. I don't really remember doing the first half of the form Long 1. I think I went into auto mode and snapped out of it 3/4 of the way, right at a point I'd always had a little trouble with. I got through it fine but is it supposed to be that way? Doesn't seem like that would be the best way to do a form when you are trying to show off.

As far as sparring went, my first match was against this 19 yr old (I'm guessing) Samoan. He was huge, almost chickened out. Went through with it and got my a$$ beat. We clashed once pretty good and my right shin has got a nasty bruise now. It was point sparring with 2 judges in each corner and a ref. We would stop after every point. (are most like that) I was surprised at what they would score as a point. I thought it would have to be an obvious hit, one with a kea and pushes the guy back kind of hit. He got a couple points when I know I had a good block on it. They missed a couple of mine points too. After 2 min I lost 1-7. My second match went the same way, but I got a long scratch on my cheek. Lost that one 2-7.
Got some work to do still, but it was good to see were I'm at with no training. No were to go but up baby.
Next tournament is Feb 2nd in Tacoma. Maybe I'll be proficient enough with the cane to do weapons as well.

Maltair

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your achievements!

I think your automatic mode was possible just nerves. I did the same on my first, but now am aware during the entire form.

My experience with tournaments are very similar to yours.
We stop at every point, 'course, not when I think I've scored a point (hee hee).

You will find that the scoring will be the most frustrating part of the sparring. Different judges will score differently, from tournament to tournament.

Contact seems to be the big controversy. How much/little is always argued...

So if you go in understanding that, you can enjoy it for what it is... a great experience to work with new partners, and gauge yourself on your progress.

Good luck.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratultions. I hope you enjoyed the experience because that's what tournaments are about more than winning and losing.

Yes point sparring is difficult. Your points never score and the other persons always do, even though you blocked it. :)

Just try to learn from what you did and try to improve on it.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is why tournament sparring is sometimes called "playing tag"... of course some of those "tags" can be pretty hard <<hee-hee>>

Be assured, you get better with practice. It is always good for the spirit to challenge yourself, and just by the act of competing you took a step forward in your training.

Congratulations & keep up the good work. There are lots of strategies and drills that can help you specifically with tournament sparring, on the internet, in books, or from fellow students, competitors, or instructors.

Oss,
-Michael

G

Gotkenpo?

Originally posted by Maltair
Got some work to do still, but it was good to see were I'm at with no training.
Maltair

what do you mean by "no training"?

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had only 1 sparring class prior to tourny. Thats what I ment by no training. I'm attending sparring class more often now, and the guys say I'm already harder to hit. ;)

:asian: Maltair