How do you protect soft spots in a fight?

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Errrr, the idea in a fight is to win, there and then, giving them a toe injury that aches 6 months later , is only a bonus if you won the fight.

Some one stamped on my toe whilst playing soccer, really hard, it hurt like hell and my toe nail fell of and never recocered properly, that only caused me to punch him on the nose, very very hard, only professional soccer player fall to the ground screaming after a toe stamp,

It's not just the toes. I was stomped on the bridge.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not just the toes. I was stomped on the bridge.

You really seem to be stuck on defending this as some undiscovered valuable fighting method. I don't quite understand that. First, it's been discovered. It exists. People who train MA often train various forms of low kicks, stomps, and other lower body attack techniques. Second, even if you don't understand *why* no one does it in a real street fight, they don't. Several people here with real-life experience in fights, including working law enforcement and bouncing in bars and so on, have told you that people just don't do it in a real fight. Why not? Because they don't. Are they all dumber than you and just never figured it out? Think about that.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You really seem to be stuck on defending this as some undiscovered valuable fighting method. I don't quite understand that. First, it's been discovered. It exists. People who train MA often train various forms of low kicks, stomps, and other lower body attack techniques. Second, even if you don't understand *why* no one does it in a real street fight, they don't. Several people here with real-life experience in fights, including working law enforcement and bouncing in bars and so on, have told you that people just don't do it in a real fight. Why not? Because they don't. Are they all dumber than you and just never figured it out? Think about that.

It seems that, when you post on Beginner section, you should never go past the OP, otherwise you are considered stubborn and stupid. Chill, all I said is that I was stomped on the bridge and it hurt a lot. Maybe all of you here being masters has done something to your heads and you confuse a conversation with a quarrel. Whenever I answer a comment, whenever I say a little thing, I'm attacked as a narrow minded idiot.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that, when you post on Beginner section, you should never go past the OP, otherwise you are considered stubborn and stupid. Chill, all I said is that I was stomped on the bridge and it hurt a lot. Maybe all of you here being masters has done something to your heads and you confuse a conversation with a quarrel. Whenever I answer a comment, whenever I say a little thing, I'm attacked as a narrow minded idiot.

Fair enough. I'm done with you.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's not so much stupidity, but maybe some stubbornness.

You said about having a foot stamped on.

Yeah, fair enough, it can hurt. Can it hurt enough to be a fight ender? Hugely unlikely.

As I reported, I've seen someone (a 16 year old girl no less) get a quite nasty foot injury from it being stamped on by a metal shod horse and simply not notice immediately because her mind was fully occupied on the task of calming the horse so it didn't injure itself.

The issue is that you (and many others before you) keep on the same thing and that because it hurt you, it's going to have the same effect on everyone else in every circumstance.

Quite simply, a foot stamp is a low value and unreliable move - which is why you don't see it much.

Same goes for an attack to the knee really - it might 'work', but unless you get it just right (and/or they don't defend it) it's going to do nothing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

How are you getting stomped? I mean striking you should be hitting the guy it you are close enough to get stomped and grappling you can only stomp if you are in the better position.

D

Deleted member 39746

Armour, thats a quick and easy way to protect any part of you. (i dont recall it being a strictly sport question)

Addendum: Safety boots are basically Armour for your feet pending what they are made to protect against, they tend to be pretty durable boots someone with trainers isnt going to break anything in though.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A trained martial artist might think about knee, foot and ankle attacks; but if you're talking a real fight, then street punks & cocky bullies don't have the training or the organized thought processes to do such things. I don't, won't and can't fight; I'm too old and have serious physical problems. This means you will never, any longer, find me in a face-off with any opponent. But a lifetime of training has left me with so many dirty tricks at my disposal that I KNOW do great damage. To me soft targets such as eyes, throat, ears, temple and many others are vulnerable and easily damaged.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting thread and replies. In the Hapkido I studied, we learned several low kicks. We attacked the thigh, knee, shin, but the knee and ankle mostly. We were not taught to be shy about attacking any part of the body that would achieve our purpose of defending ourselves. I never was taught to stomp the top of the foot. But I guess if you can do it successfully time after time, you should keep practicing it and use it.

I would say to those who disparage kicks to the legs, that they are like all other offense moves. You have to practice, practice, and practice more. Not only will you get better, and should be more proficient, but you will also learn what works best for you most of the time. Kicks to the thighs, knees, shins, and ankles can work and work well, causing great pain if not damage to an opponent.

In my case, I am not so good at inner thigh kicks. I am good at intercepting an incoming kick by stepping forward, putting my same leg as the kicker is using, in the crotch, grabbing his leg and pulling it back and in. If the opponent can't get up, he can't fight. But that is a bit different than most of what has been discussed.

But the other kicks I mentioned I can make work given the right circumstances provided by the attacker. That is also key to using low kicks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting thread and replies. In the Hapkido I studied, we learned several low kicks. We attacked the thigh, knee, shin, but the knee and ankle mostly. We were not taught to be shy about attacking any part of the body that would achieve our purpose of defending ourselves. I never was taught to stomp the top of the foot. But I guess if you can do it successfully time after time, you should keep practicing it and use it.

I would say to those who disparage kicks to the legs, that they are like all other offense moves. You have to practice, practice, and practice more. Not only will you get better, and should be more proficient, but you will also learn what works best for you most of the time. Kicks to the thighs, knees, shins, and ankles can work and work well, causing great pain if not damage to an opponent.

In my case, I am not so good at inner thigh kicks. I am good at intercepting an incoming kick by stepping forward, putting my same leg as the kicker is using, in the crotch, grabbing his leg and pulling it back and in. If the opponent can't get up, he can't fight. But that is a bit different than most of what has been discussed.

But the other kicks I mentioned I can make work given the right circumstances provided by the attacker. That is also key to using low kicks.
Well said. I started to mention this earlier but your post really touches on the topic. Naturally, a lot of the replies are based on training more than back room/bar room/takedown experience. If you practice a style that heavily practices kicking/striking low targets or high targets exclusively, that is going to be your wheelhouse and what you will use in preference. There is nothing wrong with this but it can make the answer incomplete. I know that real world application is the best proving ground for any SD or MA technique(s). So I am mostly curious to hear from others experience on what their go to technique is and, just as important, what have they done or seen that just did not work?

Latest Discussions