How did you learn how to teach your martial art? And related questions...

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was born and raised in a teaching environment. my father is a teacher, my instructor was my next door neighbor and also a teacher, I'm a teacher, my brother, three cousins... you get the idea.

I'm now very close to my masters in special education and could not agree more with Upnorths comments, except that my instructor went to great lengths to teach me to teach for him as he always had plans for me to take over all of his students eventually.

Teaching is far more complex than "telling and showing", which is about all most people ever do, but I will also say this - the only way to really get good at teaching is to teach - theory only takes you so far.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
I was born and raised in a teaching environment. my father is a teacher, my instructor was my next door neighbor and also a teacher, I'm a teacher, my brother, three cousins... you get the idea.

I'm now very close to my masters in special education and could not agree more with Upnorths comments, except that my instructor went to great lengths to teach me to teach for him as he always had plans for me to take over all of his students eventually.

Teaching is far more complex than "telling and showing", which is about all most people ever do, but I will also say this - the only way to really get good at teaching is to teach - theory only takes you so far.
Very true!!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My original instructor was/is very big on teaching being part of training. I remember as a white belt teaching students only slightly newer than me a stance or technique (almost always under the watchful eye of a black belt, btw). General rule was if you knew something that someone else didn't, you really didn't know it until you could teach it to them.

My first "extensive" experience came from the military (teaching land navigation, drill and ceremony, etc to junior cadets).

At my school in TN, I recieved some of my first "teacher training" and mentorship as an instructor. My instructor there has a required reading list, essays and practical application (student teaching, if you will) before recieving a menkyo, separate from rank.

My most eye opening experience has been teaching here in Iraq as the Solo-primary instructor responsible for organizing curriculum, testing, etc. Quite the learning experience and trial by fire! I loved it. Now the class is over so I can mail the equipment home and reflect on the experience.

I absolutely agree that there needs to be a "train the trainer" program for all teachers.