How did you learn how to teach your martial art? And related questions...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is directed to all those who teach martial arts and to those who are thinking about teaching.

How did you learn how to teach your martial art? How do you know that what you are doing is a good way to teach your martial art?

Lastly, should there be some formal, research based, methodology that informs a teacher's martial arts pedegogy?

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I originally learned how to teach from my father, who taught me, I then learned how NOT to teach when I joined a large organization, and then I relearned how to teach by learning from my mentor, KenpoJoe Rebelo. Simple enough ;)

As for your final question, after looking up the definition of pedagogy, my answer would be YES!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, for the sake of discussion, I will answer my own questions with my opinions. Please feel free to share your opinions, though. ;)

upnorthkyosa said:
How did you learn how to teach your martial art?

Initially, I learned to teach from observing my teacher. He never gave alot of lessons on how to teach and, as far as I know, neither did anyone in the USSBDMDK federation in which we used to belong.

When I finally finished my undergrad and took the classes for my teacher's license, I learned alot more about education, including things like child development, learning styles, intelligence, physiologic/motor/kinesthetic development and general teaching methods.

All of this was expanded upon when I completed my Master's degree. And I also learned new things like how to measure my own success as a teacher and how to structure curriculum in order to mean my pragmatic and philosophic goals.

Now I can safely say that this education has far more influence on how I teach then what my teacher did.

upnorthkyosa said:
How do you know that what you are doing is a good way to teach your martial art?

Via experiment. When I changed things about my approach to teaching, I made many attempts to compare with what I had been doing and with past results. If "tradition" ended up producing better results, then it stayed as part of my pedegogy. If it did not, then it was removed. The key here, IMHO is that I looked at teaching as a progression to my goals and less as a means to pass on tradition.

upnorthkyosa said:
Lastly, should there be some formal, research based, methodology that informs a teacher's martial arts pedegogy?

This may be controversial, but in my experience most martial arts teachers that I have met could really benefit from some formal education in education. There are alot of things ranging from structuring a curriculum to lesson planning to teaching methods and to understanding developmental appropriateness that I think all martial arts teachers could benefit from. Most martial arts teachers never have exposure to this material and although some figure all of this stuff out via trial and error, most do not. This, IMHO, would go a long way in improving the overall quality of a martial art offered by various organizations and/or schools.

Here is another question related to the last one...does your org provide this training? If so, where did it come from?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
How did you learn how to teach your martial art?

My instructor slowly worked me into the teaching process. I'd start off with something as simple as the warmups. While this may sound extremely basic, which it is, the fact that you're standing in front of a large group of people, that alone has the potential to be intimidating. I'd work with a new student, showing them the basics, etc. Nothing major at first, just slowly working my way in. Gradually, he'd begin to have me do a little more. I'll never forget the day that I came in for the class and he told me that I was on my own!! By the end of the class, I was happy to say that things went very good.

How do you know that what you are doing is a good way to teach your martial art?

I'd have to say that by watching the way the other instructors taught, asking questions, etc., that was where I got some of my best ideas. One thing that always helped me, was to go into the class, already having something pre-planned to work on. Granted, depending on the rank, the age group, if I was by myself or if I had help, etc., that would determine any changes in the plan. It was something that wasn't necessarily set in stone, but it served as a guide line. I always received positive comments on the way I taught, so I must have been doing something right!:)

Teaching isn't for everyone. Some can perform the material great, but they can't teach it. I don't think they should have to go to some sort of school per se to learn to teach, but there are many seminars put on by successful school owners that offer ideas on how to teach classes. I personally never went to any. As I said above, I learned from watching my teachers.

Mike

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I originally learned by watching my 1st instructor. I wish I could say he taught me how to teach, but he did not. At my next school, I was taught how to teach by one of the instructors. I learned to ask questions about teaching techniques & developed my own style of teaching on the mat. I wish I could say I'm as good at it as I want to be, but I'm far from it.

I too, wish there was a more systemic way of teaching others how to teach MA. To help folks develop their own style while still getting across the information.

The one thing I've learned from my masters in education coursework that I take to the mat w/ me is, "The student is more important than the lesson." Because we teach students...not lessons. Its helped me to not "drill students into boredom" but hopefully help them love the Art & training.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By example. Also by experience as a student. Of course I will always be a student, but I prefer to say I have led a few classes and I do enjoy training from that aspect as well. However, my approach is a mixture of methodologies I have experienced or observed while training combined with modifications to how I convey things based on what I have found to help me make sense of things. In this regard, even teaching the same stuff as my instructor, I may explain things a little differently in an effort to get people to understand what we are doing.

Bottom line, when I do become a teacher, I am sure it will be a mixture of how I was taught along with the ways I have found beneficial to my understanding of things. I believe this is how each instructor can actually have their own unique style of training and still be teaching the same thing.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
My instructor slowly worked me into the teaching process. I'd start off with something as simple as the warmups. While this may sound extremely basic, which it is, the fact that you're standing in front of a large group of people, that alone has the potential to be intimidating. I'd work with a new student, showing them the basics, etc. Nothing major at first, just slowly working my way in. Gradually, he'd begin to have me do a little more. I'll never forget the day that I came in for the class and he told me that I was on my own!! By the end of the class, I was happy to say that things went very good.

This is how I learned as well. In addition, when I was teaching basics to new and/or junior students, my instructor or the assistant would observe and offer constructive criticism about ways to make my instruction methods better.

MJS said:
I'd have to say that by watching the way the other instructors taught, asking questions, etc., that was where I got some of my best ideas. One thing that always helped me, was to go into the class, already having something pre-planned to work on. Granted, depending on the rank, the age group, if I was by myself or if I had help, etc., that would determine any changes in the plan. It was something that wasn't necessarily set in stone, but it served as a guide line. I always received positive comments on the way I taught, so I must have been doing something right!:)

This is another good point. I learned much more planning lessons and teaching them than I did as a student; learning how to explain things multiple ways so that every student's needs are met requires a very in-depth understanding of what is being taught.

MJS said:
Teaching isn't for everyone. Some can perform the material great, but they can't teach it. I don't think they should have to go to some sort of school per se to learn to teach, but there are many seminars put on by successful school owners that offer ideas on how to teach classes. I personally never went to any. As I said above, I learned from watching my teachers.

Mike

Some people can learn by watching, some by doing, some by instruction - for teaching or anything else. As Iceman said, I learned much more about teaching once I went back for my teaching certificate (although I'd been teaching TKD for about year by that time). And it's a 2-way street; some of what I learned teaching TKD I use in my classroom, and vice versa.

Some organizations have instructors' seminars and/or certification; however, in many cases that I have seen, those seminars only go over how to perform technique, not teach it - and that is what is really needed.

About 15 years ago, shortly after I received my teaching certificate, I went to a teachers' job fair, where I met the owner of a rather notorious McDojo in my area; he claimed to not understand why his students weren't turning into good instructors (or so he said; his contracts guaranteed rank for showing up - not performance) and therefore he had decided to hire teachers, train them in Karate and/or TKD (both taught at his facilities) for 3 months, 30 hours/week, at minimum wage, then test them, assign them a rank, and make them instructors, with the expectation that such persons would be anywhere from green to black when they became instructors. Now, I didn't take him up on it, as I don't think that his methods were anything close to appropriate (3 months... even at 30 hours a week... I mean, come on; you might be able to do it, but would you understand it?) but it did bring up the need to provide additional, different instruction for students to move beyond being senior students and become instructors. This is something that most (if not all) organizations need to work on, and I, for one, would like to see more dialogue on it, in addition to the curriculum already being developed in the association to which I belong.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kacey said:
This is something that most (if not all) organizations need to work on, and I, for one, would like to see more dialogue on it, in addition to the curriculum already being developed in the association to which I belong.

I 100% agree. Sometimes being a student and a teacher are similar and in some ways they are really different. There are alot of subtlties that the student misses, alot of "behind the scene" work that a student never sees. The bottom line is that there is a pile of educational liturature that martial arts teacher could dig into that would help improve one's practice.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The bottom line is that there is a pile of educational liturature that martial arts teacher could dig into that would help improve one's practice.
This is the case whether it is a student or teacher. It is important to read.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first experience was sink or swim! I was told to go teach a large group of energetic kids, some of which out ranked me!
I had previously taught swimming and weightlifting so I had some idea how to teach but i wasn't eased into teaching martial arts.
It went ok, but fortunately another teacher soon came along that took me under his wing and became a mentor to me and helped me to teach martial arts.
He gave me the basics by suggesting things I could do to improve after my classes and then I picked up more from others as time went on. Sometimes I would show up to a class just to watch and I gained a lot by watching the teacher and watching how the students responded to everything the teacher did and said. I still do this today!.
I would then ask the teacher questions afterword and also ask students questions afterward about what they liked and didn't like, what worked well for them and what things they had trouble with from different types of teaching styles.
I soon got enough hours of teaching in that it became second nature.
After my experience, I always made sure to ease our potential instructors into our teaching program.
If a student or a teacher leaves class frustrated, the chances become greater that they will not return!
We have different teachers with various teaching styles, but they all have one thing in common: they like to help others. If they have that, then I can teach them the rest to a certain degree depending upon their perseverence and initial aptitude.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when I was teaching basics to new and/or junior students, my instructor or the assistant would observe and offer constructive criticism about ways to make my instruction methods better.
My instructo had m start teaching the Jr. class at the school and then would ask me what i did wrong or could do better.
When h thought I was ready he had me lead the adult classwhich had much higher ranks than me in it. Afte i woul get prasied or told what i did wrong. I learned to see the whole class at once and to pick up the movment that was not correct or the same as eveyone else was doing.
After i opned my first school i tried to teach the same way my insructor did and learned over time to due things the way i now do.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
This is the case whether it is a student or teacher. It is important to read.

I think I should differentiate between educational liturature and "Education" liturature. All (most ;)) liturature is education, but not all of it pertains directly to education. "Education" liturature like Piaget's constructivism and Gardner's multiple intelligences is what I'm talking about.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whwn I first started to teach my father would take me a side with one or two students and go over how to teach stances and basics, after a while it grew to me doingthe beginners calsses and so on.

Now I'm hoping to have the pateince to show my sons what my father took the time to show me. I only wish I had half the petience as he did and the good sense to know when to step in.

MJ very well post

Terry

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our school has a teaching methodology that is taught to assistant instructors start out teaching. The method is pretty simple hitting all aspects for auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learners. For belts above blue, teaching is something that is actually tested on rank tests by having the student teach another, students are graded on if they used our methodology and if they were capable of transmitting the material. We place alot of emphasis on this, our black belts are teachers, if they are unable or unwilling they won't make black.

Lamont

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I think I should differentiate between educational liturature and "Education" liturature. All (most ;)) liturature is education, but not all of it pertains directly to education. "Education" liturature like Piaget's constructivism and Gardner's multiple intelligences is what I'm talking about.

Oh, I see what you mean. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kacey said:
About 15 years ago, shortly after I received my teaching certificate, I went to a teachers' job fair, where I met the owner of a rather notorious McDojo in my area; he claimed to not understand why his students weren't turning into good instructors (or so he said; his contracts guaranteed rank for showing up - not performance) and therefore he had decided to hire teachers, train them in Karate and/or TKD (both taught at his facilities) for 3 months, 30 hours/week, at minimum wage, then test them, assign them a rank, and make them instructors, with the expectation that such persons would be anywhere from green to black when they became instructors. Now, I didn't take him up on it, as I don't think that his methods were anything close to appropriate (3 months... even at 30 hours a week... I mean, come on; you might be able to do it, but would you understand it?) but it did bring up the need to provide additional, different instruction for students to move beyond being senior students and become instructors. This is something that most (if not all) organizations need to work on, and I, for one, would like to see more dialogue on it, in addition to the curriculum already being developed in the association to which I belong.

I recall a saying that I heard from two of my old instructors, "Quality over Quantity!" The person you're describing above seems to use that same saying, IMO, but he has the phrase reversed. He could brag until he's blue in the face about how many instructors he has, how many students, etc., but in the long run, the quality just won't be there.

Just my .02 :)

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll freely admit to not being a good instructor. I waffle, and find it easy to over-complicate things, and often forget that the people I'm training don't have the same experiences, and thus the same knowledge that I do.

On the plus side, at least I'm aware of my failings.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Now, for the sake of discussion, I will answer my own questions with my opinions. Please feel free to share your opinions, though. ;)

Initially, I learned to teach from observing my teacher. He never gave alot of lessons on how to teach and, as far as I know, neither did anyone in the USSBDMDK federation in which we used to belong.

When I finally finished my undergrad and took the classes for my teacher's license, I learned alot more about education, including things like child development, learning styles, intelligence, physiologic/motor/kinesthetic development and general teaching methods.

All of this was expanded upon when I completed my Master's degree. And I also learned new things like how to measure my own success as a teacher and how to structure curriculum in order to mean my pragmatic and philosophic goals.

Now I can safely say that this education has far more influence on how I teach then what my teacher did.

Via experiment. When I changed things about my approach to teaching, I made many attempts to compare with what I had been doing and with past results. If "tradition" ended up producing better results, then it stayed as part of my pedegogy. If it did not, then it was removed. The key here, IMHO is that I looked at teaching as a progression to my goals and less as a means to pass on tradition.

This may be controversial, but in my experience most martial arts teachers that I have met could really benefit from some formal education in education. There are alot of things ranging from structuring a curriculum to lesson planning to teaching methods and to understanding developmental appropriateness that I think all martial arts teachers could benefit from. Most martial arts teachers never have exposure to this material and although some figure all of this stuff out via trial and error, most do not. This, IMHO, would go a long way in improving the overall quality of a martial art offered by various organizations and/or schools.

Here is another question related to the last one...does your org provide this training? If so, where did it come from?
I'm going to launch off of your own reply here, because it makes the bias that you brought to the questions even more apparent. I'm not saying that bias is a bad or evil thing -- but it was clear you already knew your answers. And I'm not saying your answers are bad, either.

I learned to teach from my own teacher. We were expected to teach newer students our basic drills early on (like by green belt), and our instructor would then come over and correct/expand on what we'd taught. We followed his example in how we taught.

How do I know that the way I teach works? I look at my students. If the results aren't what I want, if they don't look the way they are supposed to -- then I know I'm not getting through, and I need to try another approach. Or drill them some more. Repition is the mother of learning; once you've given them the pieces, they have to drill them until they integrate them. Martial arts aren't something you can learn by reading or simply watching. In fact, over-intellectualizing is something I'm seeing as an increasingly common problem. Rather than paying attention, then practicing until what the student does looks like what the teacher showed -- too many students today seem to try to "understand" or "get it" without the drilling. Then, they want to move onto something new... but they can't understand why it didn't work.

Which feeds nicely into your third question. Is there a place for a more rigorous or scientific methodology? Do instructors need to learn more about teaching? Sure. But there's often a tendency to fix things that aren't broken because we don't understand them when we throw "book learning" on top... A good teacher learns more from their students; this isn't limited to understanding something better as you break it down to teach. Each student I teach shows me a knew part of how people learn.

And, as other have said, it's also important to realize that some people just aren't particularly talented to be teachers. Doesn't make them unskilled; doesn't mean their stupid or aren't talented -- it just means that their talents aren't teaching.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach very much like I was taught. My sensei in Indiana has had the most influence on my teaching style with the repetition and tradition. One of the asst. instructors in my original class who was a Shorinji Kempo student of a japanese man that was in the states for awhile is the other influence.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way before I started teaching I started observing the different instructors that would be teaching classes. I picked out what I thought were good aspects to their particular teaching style and I incorperated them into my own way of teaching. Once I got yhe chance to start running classes I was not left alone. We had a standing policy of being and assistant instructor, then an aided instructor, then you could go it alone with a class. The aided instructor is one who actually runs the class, but is still guided by a full instructor from time to time. Once you are teaching full time you still have the occasional observation by the head instructor to see if you are missing anything and to see if you have found a "new twist" on a way to teach. We also have regular meetings and cross over to other instructor' classes to see how they are doing it.

When I first started teaching on my own I would carefully think about what I wanted to get done in the classes and I would write it down in an outline. This allowed me to see what I wanted to work on and kept me on track. I would often use what the students were needing and would focus class on those items. It got to the point where I had students coming from other instructor's classes to learn things that they were missing from their own instructor's teachings. It was sad and exciting at the same time.

Since the early days of teaching I have had the chance to study several styles and to visit countless other schools to observe and work out. This has given me new insight into areas where I am dificient and to correct them. No two instructors will ever be the same, but we can all accomplish what we set our minds to. We must be open to correction and learning ourselves. If we stop learning we will not be the only ones to suffer. So will our students.

Latest Discussions