How can I increase my stamina

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Random question, but does anyone have a specific HIIT that they suggest to new students?

I personally have my own program that I do, but I'm aware that most new students wouldn't be able to complete it, so when another student asks me, I dont know how to respond,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old saying said, "If you can repeat your MA form 20 times non-stop daily, the heat and cold will no longer bother you." It's great for "stamina" as well.
lol.. then you die from exhaustion.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol.. then you die from exhaustion.
Assume your form has 50 moves. 50 x 20 = 1,000 moves.

I have drills 20 different 3 moves combos 20 times each non-stop. 20 x 3 x 20 = 1,200 moves. I'm still alive.

It may be difficult (or impossible) to do 1,000 tornado kicks, or 1,000 hip throws non-stop. But to do just non-jumping kicks and basic punches with average speed while your body is relax most of the time should not be that hard. I had done XingYi Beng Chuan on the beach non-stop for 2 miles. I'm pretty sure that was more than 1,000 punches.

Last edited:

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had the same situation so I tried hard to re gain my stamina by hiking and running. This damaged me more so my advice is to not worry. Just do light exercise and a run early in the day. Martial arts uses different types of energy and stamina is one of them. Keep your body flexible and it will use less stamina. Only one condition. Just keep it regular on daily basis.

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like hill sprinting. Find yourself a big hill and run up it as fast as you can. Walk down at a slower pace to catch your breath and repeat. That's the bare bones of it. I do it twice a week although on weeks when i'm feeling really frisky I might up that to 3. It's intense but you get the bulk of your cardio done in 20 minutes or so. I also like the rowing machine and go for a few "rows" a few times a week. I don't like to go as intense as the hill sprinting but I work up a decent sweat.

There are also some good kettle bell drills you can try that will do wonders for your stamina. I learned a few from a trainer at the local Y and now I do them on my own. Recuperating with proper rest and nutrition is important too. Good luck!

One more thing. Start out slow. It's good to push yourself but don't be a mad man about it. I injured my knee once and it set me back over a year.Be patient and consistent and work hard and you should see some great improvements!

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to cross train in a grappling art such as BJJ. From my experience it definitely will increase your stamina. I started BJJ and I've lost weight and developed stamina as a result. I find that rolling can be better for stamina and weight loss than most Karate drills. Also, in general if you train in the martial arts its good to be well rounded and to have a background in both grappling and striking, especially in this day and age.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smokefree | What happens when you quit?

After 2-12 weeks
Your circulation improves.

After 3-9 months
Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function increases by up to 10%.

After 1 year
Risk of heart disease is about half compared with a person who is still smoking.

After 10 years
Risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.

After 15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.

Tez. Being the font of all knowledge. Is vaping any better? Heard about the carsergenics (no idea if I have spelt that right) scare tactics, or just going cold turkey is the way?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez. Being the font of all knowledge. Is vaping any better? Heard about the carsergenics (no idea if I have spelt that right) scare tactics, or just going cold turkey is the way?

Seems the jury is out on that, common sense says putting anything into your lungs that they are designed to deal with has got to be bad but the NHS seem to think vaping is safer but who actually knows at the moment?
Electronic cigarettes: the facts - SmokeFree Islington

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
20 minutes of HIIT daily for 3 months. Measure and mark your progress.

Because sparring tends to be in rounds with recovery breaks.

I agree with this. Go to the gym and do circuits. I used to be fat and weak and I started doing this and became less fat and less weak. When I first started I used to exhausted doing the warm up. Now my stamina is so much better.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do something.
No? Do it.
Yes? Good.

After it be piss-tired and hyperventilating.
No? Do something else.
Yes? Good job, keep doing that.

AaronP

White Belt
Reaction score
I do High intensity with 24kg kettlebell swings. I bend my knees into a half squat on the swing. This hits my legs, core and arms. I do 45sec on and 45 seconds rest for 6 sets. I'm aiming for 1 min on, 30 sec rest for 10 sets. The research indicates high-intensity intervals are great for cv fitness.

I started with a 12kg kettle doing 15 secons on and 45 seconds off and slowly increased.

I like it because it's quite quick and hits the anterior chain, core and legs. I can also workout quickly when I dont have time for a full training session

Aaron