Homemade Sparring Gear

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eewwwwww....those are the obvious exceptions. Fortunately, they're also the least expensive pieces of equipment. :D

Very necessary though lol! My instructor bought metal ones back from Thailand that the MT fighters used, they are highly recommended if you can find them. Don't tie them up with the strings though slip them into a cup holder. One of our fighters tied the strings up very securely, lots of knots to make sure it wouldn't move during fight, problem is he couldn't get it off quick enough when he need to go the toilet rofl!
Can you tell I train in an all male club?

It's a pity we all live and train so far away from each other as a kit exhange/secondhand shop would have been brilliant. Some clubs/schools do run them though those that are out to make money insist you buy new from them.

Almost

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally i don't use sparring gear unless i'm training for a tournament which i'm not going to again... When we spar in class, we use control. That's it. I know some people probably have qualms with that but I found it to be most practical as you're not going to have it on the street.

In the event you really need it... I'm going to say go with the misspelling on e-bay or try a flee market or discount store.

As for making your own, it might not necessairly but legal in all tournaments but i can imagine just by looking at pictures, you could fashion some decent gloves and pads out of some stuffing maybe from stuffed animals (if you pack it tight enough) or seating cushion foam or carpet foam as mentioned above. Just get creative... :D

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
...their own groin guard and gum shield ( no sharing there! though I saw two Polish fighters sharing a groin guard at a show once....ugh!!)

Anyone see Mr Woodcock? "OK, get out the rentals."
903856_big.jpg

Home-made protective gear sounds a bit risky to me. We've contrived shields and targets from foam, which work fine for younger kids. With homemade hand- and foot-gear, I would be worried about the person getting hit (as Kacey pointed out), but also how well-protected the wearer is.

I'd recommend a sharing arrangement. Keep some mild disinfectant on hand to wipe everything down with.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The surface/contact layer of the hand/foot gear used the same vinyl that seat covers are made out of. The padding layer was more than one layer of carpet padding, but I don't know how many. The interior layer, the one that touches the skin, was some sort of soft cloth. The closures matched most conventional gear with a band of elastic and velcro.

I can say from experience that they give far more protection for the hitee compared to most commercial gear, certainly it blows every dipped foam product right out of the water.

Not the best shot, but the only one I've got:
That is "hood-rific" but effective I would imagine.

Latest Discussions