holding the basics

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Man, people are talking about me while I am out. It seems that Lawyer just thinks that I am sort of a decieved guy that would have a broken nose and teared skin. Please listen. If you want to post anything in the Wing Chun negatively, leave me out of it, because it is really starting to be annoying.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
Incidentally, and as a peace offering, check out the following link. On this thread I described my experiences while I started crosstraining in Muay Thai (I had about 20 months of experience in Wing Chun when I started it).

I hope this helps you understand where I am coming from. It took me a long while to find out my WC training was indeed lacking.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10368&highlight=dear+diary

Man, just reading about your experience. I noticed something. You still beleive that big formed opponents are scary and strong. I beleive that punching a big fighter in the street in his ribs or jaw is scary, because he would be lying on the white bed surrounded by a nurse. I mean that technique is the important aspect. It seems that you learned Wing Chun in your own expeience. Don't think that we are with the same mentality Lawyer, because there are stuff that we aquire and you don't. I personally was a normal guy before studying any martial art. Never liked fighting and still hates it. When it comes to fighting, I beleive that I would do anything to win. That's why I fought with bullies in the past who were boasting alot about their skills and made them a joke, although I was not used to fighting and adrenaline always was on top in an encounter. Wing Chun taught me to be relaxed and happy. It didn't just made me more used to fighting. It made me a less aggressive guy, because I was always pissed off at things and never liked joking with people in a big manner, now I feel that I still have a long way to acheive in the Martial Way pal.

Regarding BJJ and other ring arts. Those are learned fast, and a fast learned stuff will work good to a certain limit. A long time learned stuff construct your sences and ability and gives better results, and remember an advice that is good to you my friend. "It is not the sytem or the style that lacks ability, it is what you give into it as effort and devotion". Talking about your experience, it seems you give no time to wing chun and even to Muay Thai. These kinds of person usually never sees the full image of the art and quits. If you will be like this Lawyer, there is a possibility that you would even quit Muay Thai, and might post negative threads in the MT section proving that you had a bad experience in it, so train harder my friend.

OP
bcbernam777

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Man, people are talking about me while I am out. It seems that Lawyer just thinks that I am sort of a decieved guy that would have a broken nose and teared skin. Please listen. If you want to post anything in the Wing Chun negatively, leave me out of it, because it is really starting to be annoying.

I wouldn't worry about what he says, he obviously has been taught in a Mcdojo somewhere, and lacks a fuller understanding of the system

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
I wouldn't worry about what he says, he obviously has been taught in a Mcdojo somewhere, and lacks a fuller understanding of the system

He said that he doesn't have any authority to judge Wing chun in his experience relating in the link he gave, but it seems that the only thing Lawyer did upon registering here is opposing the poster's ideas. I beleive we learn from each other not compete in ideas, as an example I learned alot from you and others, because I beleive that most of the people here experienced Wing Chun and might help to build the individual's knowledge.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Man, just reading about your experience. I noticed something. You still beleive that big formed opponents are scary and strong. I beleive that punching a big fighter in the street in his ribs or jaw is scary, because he would be lying on the white bed surrounded by a nurse.

Alright, I take back what I said.

I did not use to think like you.

I was never THAT naive.

You obviously have no significant sparring experience, despite what you say here. You certainly never went at it with someone significantly bigger or stronger than you - I mean, you believe you can drop someone much bigger than you with a punch in the ribs or in the jaw that easily!?

Oh lord, I wish you lived in São Paulo. Even though I am relatively inexperienced, I am quite sure I could teach you a thing or two.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
Alright, I take back what I said.

I did not use to think like you.

I was never THAT naive.

You obviously have no significant sparring experience, despite what you say here. You certainly never went at it with someone significantly bigger or stronger than you - I mean, you believe you can drop someone much bigger than you with a punch in the ribs or in the jaw that easily!?

Oh lord, I wish you lived in São Paulo. Even though I am relatively inexperienced, I am quite sure I could teach you a thing or two.

How do you know that I never sparred Lawyer?!. I sparred and guess what. At the begining I once tried Taekwando and was a beginner. I once sparred with someone who were smaller than my size. I had the thaught that I would crush him. It seems that I couldn't touch him, he crushed me. Regarding punching power that you were talking about, taking a big guy means you must hit him really hard?!, no pal. I hit him in the nose with a Charlie's Angels girls punch and he is down. Same goes for the Jaw, just now do it, bring your finger and squeeze it near the jaw and the bone that is below your ear, then start squeezing back and forth, you will feel your nerves trembling with this weak finger. Imagine you got apunch there, it's really dangerous. I advice you lawyer to be open minded and take the fact that you never saw Wing chun in it's full picture, you may been instructed in an unqualified place. Man, Wing Chun is logic and effeicincy. It is a motive for relaxing, don't only take it as fighting, it's a way of living. You can use it during your work, during discusions, and even for love with your wife and other important people in your life. Regarding the issue showing me a thing or two?!, why pal?. What am I, just a fight hater that never fights only if neccessary. Why should you show me power. Using power in it's proper place is power, using it in other aspects is not power, it's decieving yourself and the balance of nature. Cheer up man:) .

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lawyer my friend.

I tried to send you a PM, but your massage box is full. So read it from here.

Hi There,

I think that it depends in what level you acheived. My instructor once told me that Wing Chun sparring is difficult because it is all causing serious injuries to both fighters. So the only kind of sparring I have in our EWTO center is a groundfighting one. similar to the Rickson, Royce Jujitsu stuff. Its just in case if anyone goes to the ground. I think that speaking about you is something else, because there are many people who are bad instructors, I think that if anyone had such an experience would hate wing Chun, but like you said there are very +ve techniques you used when you sparred in the MT club, it was Wing chun. So you still beleive that Wing Chun is amazing. Listen Lawyer, learn whatever you learn is good as long as you devote a good time for practise. I personally left the EWTO for a while to finish some personal issues I am facing now. The moment I finish these issues, I would go back to train.

Life is not fighting, it is keeping it as the worst possible choice.

Yipman Sifu

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a good discussion lets keep it that way and continue to be polite and respectfull to all involved, even those we may disagree with.

thank you,
MT Super Mod
7starmantis
Adam C

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Lawyer my friend.

I tried to send you a PM, but your massage box is full. So read it from here.

Hi There,

I think that it depends in what level you acheived. My instructor once told me that Wing Chun sparring is difficult because it is all causing serious injuries to both fighters. So the only kind of sparring I have in our EWTO center is a groundfighting one. similar to the Rickson, Royce Jujitsu stuff. Its just in case if anyone goes to the ground. I think that speaking about you is something else, because there are many people who are bad instructors, I think that if anyone had such an experience would hate wing Chun, but like you said there are very +ve techniques you used when you sparred in the MT club, it was Wing chun. So you still beleive that Wing Chun is amazing. Listen Lawyer, learn whatever you learn is good as long as you devote a good time for practise. I personally left the EWTO for a while to finish some personal issues I am facing now. The moment I finish these issues, I would go back to train.

Life is not fighting, it is keeping it as the worst possible choice.

Yipman Sifu

My bad, I emptied my inbox.

As far as I know, sparring in Wing Chun is no big deal. Just use your common sense and avoid eye pokes and groin strikes, and there you go. Certainly many reputable WC sifus agree with me on that (Emin Boztepe, Kevin Chan, Benny Meng).

Did you read that thread? I had lots of trouble making my WC techniques work at the MT gym - not because the techniques themselves were actually bad, but because

1) I had done no sparring at my WC class and didn´t know how to use them properly because of that, and

2) I had not learned many essential techniques at my WC class, such as jabs, hooks, crosses and roundkicks, so I didn´t know how to supplement my WC techniques with those moves, nor did I know how to counter them.

I don´t believe WC is amazing, nor do I believe MT is amazing. I believe it CAN be a good system, but many instructors insist on keeping their heads deeply buried in the sand about many technical aspects of combat, and they also ignore many essential aspects of training, such as sparring and physical conditioning.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
My bad, I emptied my inbox.

As far as I know, sparring in Wing Chun is no big deal. Just use your common sense and avoid eye pokes and groin strikes, and there you go. Certainly many reputable WC sifus agree with me on that (Emin Boztepe, Kevin Chan, Benny Meng).

Did you read that thread? I had lots of trouble making my WC techniques work at the MT gym - not because the techniques themselves were actually bad, but because

1) I had done no sparring at my WC class and didn´t know how to use them properly because of that, and

2) I had not learned many essential techniques at my WC class, such as jabs, hooks, crosses and roundkicks, so I didn´t know how to supplement my WC techniques with those moves, nor did I know how to counter them.

I don´t believe WC is amazing, nor do I believe MT is amazing. I believe it CAN be a good system, but many instructors insist on keeping their heads deeply buried in the sand about many technical aspects of combat, and they also ignore many essential aspects of training, such as sparring and physical conditioning.

Regarding sparring, advanced trainers in our organization sparred alot, and we have sparring equipment and all the stuff, it is just a matter of time that any new trainer in the EWTO will spar if the Sifu will observe his progress.

Regarding Physical conditioning. You got a point in that, we do push ups, sit ups, and those stuff, but I still think that it is not sufficient. Especially in a case where we as Wing Tsun trainers must finish encounters as fast as possible, otherwise we might get tired. I personally don't get tired fast and can handle time factor, but talking in as other WT trainers, they might have problems in fitness. I don't say to train in weights, but at least to have a high stamina level. I personally hate the mojority of bodybuilders who boast alot about their bodies. I was the kind that loved to fight with them to prove that body power and shape diminish by age, while technique and skills remains to a longer stage.

Latest Discussions