Ho Ho Ho Merry marketing!

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this disturbing to anyone else? The wife and I were in the grocery store the other day and saw Christmas cards for sale! Not only were there Christmas cards on sale, but they were HALF OFF!!! What the...

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was channel-surfing a number of weeks ago, and on one of the home-shopping channels (QVC? HSN? one of them), they were having "Christmas in July" or "Christmas in August" or something like that. I was befuddled. Hornswazzled. Bemused.

And it was tacky.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
halloween, thanksgiving? evidently they don't make enough money...it seems every year christmas advertising starts creeping in a little earlier

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes!! And a few months ago, I walked into Wal-Mart with my son, sweating like crazy from the hot day outside and there in the garden section, I had walked into the Christmas section........I can't even think of buying anything Christmas......or looking at anything of the sort until the weather is right!!

:asian: :karate:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the time is right now for direct marketers. Retail has to compete with that now. Besides alot of stores have year-round Christmas areas. I can't get into either even in October. TW

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sad on so many levels. I mourn the passing of summer every year. The winters are long and evil up here. My heart is weighted with sorrow for the end of environmental vibrance, when once again my little world becomes a dormant and frozen wasteland, devoid of life and vitality.....

Oh well, I have whiskey!:drinkbeer

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Yes!! And a few months ago, I walked into Wal-Mart with my son, sweating like crazy from the hot day outside and there in the garden section, I had walked into the Christmas section........I can't even think of buying anything Christmas......or looking at anything of the sort until the weather is right!!

:asian: :karate:
Oh to have a white Christmas.... actually I much prefer a summer holiday around Christmas, we are just heading into summer now, and Christmas over here usually involves a holiday at the beach...it must be a bit of a NZ tradition!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Oh to have a white Christmas.... actually I much prefer a summer holiday around Christmas, we are just heading into summer now, and Christmas over here usually involves a holiday at the beach...it must be a bit of a NZ tradition!

oh to have a Christmas on the beach.... sigh...:(

stoolman, could you pass me the whiskey please....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:

Nalia I like your new avatar!!
Thanks! I never got to the beach once this summer, it was so crappy... sigh...I need another whiskey, nah make it a vodka!!! ;)

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
halloween, thanksgiving? evidently they don't make enough money...it seems every year christmas advertising starts creeping in a little earlier
Well, according to the original post, it was 9-29 last year, but I just saw Christmas trees at Kroger yesterday, so I guess you're right. It's a week earlier this year. Depressing, but still kind of funny. Hey, maybe if it's a week earlier each year, then after about 30-40 more years, it will cycle all the way back to the actual week of Christmas. Hope it doesn't get to May any time soon...I'd hate to have my birthday during the Christmas season. You know how that sucks.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Is this disturbing to anyone else? The wife and I were in the grocery store the other day and saw Christmas cards for sale! Not only were there Christmas cards on sale, but they were HALF OFF!!! What the...

being from a retail/marketing background, i can tell you that they are selling your their last years leftover stock at a "good deal", but unknowing to the public are netting a much higher gross margin than if they had just waited until the actual season.

people who "cash in" early on the holiday season ALWAYS end up spending more and in the end, generating the seller more profit dollars outside the normal buying season.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the horrible part

I left the white (snow, not redneck) garbage to live in LA LA Land and avoid the "season". Now I live in the shallow "I must love everybody who talks to me, and I have to get them a gift" world of Los Angeles.

Rediculous.

--Trad

K

Kempogeek

Feisty Mouse said:
I was channel-surfing a number of weeks ago, and on one of the home-shopping channels (QVC? HSN? one of them), they were having "Christmas in July" or "Christmas in August" or something like that. I was befuddled. Hornswazzled. Bemused.

And it was tacky.
Yes it was QVC's "Christmas In July". I remember that becuase it was the day that I came down with a nasty cold just was I was looking forward to it. I'll admit it Im a Christmas freak. Anyhoo, one year I went to a hobby and craft store called Hobby Lobby in late August and sure enough their Xmas section was up and running. Now this was my first time ever seeing Xmas stuff already on the shelves. I wonder if the Hallmark stores started this trend with their open houses in July for that year's "Keepsake Ornaments". Just a thought.......Steve

Latest Discussions