History of Chi Sao?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does any one know the history and origin of chi sao?
--------------------------------------------------------
History is not science. But FWIW in a nit shell:

1.many CMA-s have some form of hand/bridge touching timing driils- including taichi/taiji, wing chun and some forms of hung ga,
Among them taichi's tui shau and wing chun's chi sao are best known.

2. Many mainland wc-s roll in and out

3, Ip Man and Yuen Kay shan began to use the double chi sao with three key motions to begin with bong, tan and fok

4. Ip man developed dahn chi sao

5. From there many variations have emerged.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------
4. Ip man developed dahn chi sao

I think he developed the sequence that is widely used in the Ip lineage, but I don't think he owns a patent on all single arm bridging ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he developed the sequence that is widely used in the Ip lineage, but I don't think he owns a patent on all single arm bridging ;)

Developed ...not invented. What you say seems like common sense, Eric. I've met people from several other arts that have some sort of tactile training loosely analogous to chi-sau, and they all teach one-hand versions before using both hands, etc. Like crawling before you walk.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Per the oral history of my lineage, our Chi Sao came from the butterfly knives.

Interesting. In our branch we have chi-sau, chi-gherk, and chi-kwun, ...sticking hands, legs, and pole, but it's said that you don't stick with the Bart Cham Dao. You cut and its over. Of course I still have much to learn.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. In our branch we have chi-sau, chi-gherk, and chi-kwun, ...sticking hands, legs, and pole, but it's said that you don't stick with the Bart Cham Dao. You cut and its over. Of course I still have much to learn.

Don't know yet, haven't seen the knives in HFY, so other than knowing a small bit about their history and that we have a knife dummy form... I got nothing.

Sadly, never got to do the YM ones, my teacher at the time gave up teaching YM WC while i was doing Chi Gwan. Only 3-4 of my old sihings got them, and they stopped training long ago.

Latest Discussions