HEMA is Fun!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon at a Kobudo weapons seminar where they also taught HEMA. Fascinating!

wiggy_at_hema.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some nice sparring videos on their page, but not much info otherwise. Maybe Kirk knows them. What sort of material did they cover?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some nice sparring videos on their page, but not much info otherwise. Maybe Kirk knows them. What sort of material did they cover?
Stances, mostly. Different ways of holding the sword and footwork. Not much, we only had a few hours. All German names, but I don't recall them now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That must of have been really interesting. Way cool.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The basic stances are Ochs (Ox), Pflug (Plow), Alber (Fool), and Vom Dach/Tag (From the Roof), just to give you something to remember.

Other common terms: Oberhau (Over-strike, any strike from above to below)
Unterhau (Under-strike, and strike going from low to high)
Zornhau (Wrath Strike, a diagonal strike, commonly used to parry another incoming Oberhau while simultaneously putting the point in front of the opponent's face for an immediate follow-up thrust.

My guess is that's pretty much what you would have been shown. Anything else come to mind?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The basic stances are Ochs (Ox), Pflug (Plow), Alber (Fool), and Vom Dach/Tag (From the Roof), just to give you something to remember.

Other common terms: Oberhau (Over-strike, any strike from above to below)
Unterhau (Under-strike, and strike going from low to high)
Zornhau (Wrath Strike, a diagonal strike, commonly used to parry another incoming Oberhau while simultaneously putting the point in front of the opponent's face for an immediate follow-up thrust.

My guess is that's pretty much what you would have been shown. Anything else come to mind?

No, that was it exactly! Thank you!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did they provide the training swords? What were they made from? I can't tell from the photos.

Yes, there were training swords provided. I am not sure what they were made of, but I think Nylon. They were not light.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me know if you hear about the group putting on another seminar. I might be willing to drive up there if they provide the training tools.

Will do, but I'm not in regular contact with them; it came about because they use a dojo in Livonia, MI to teach in on Monday nights. The dojo was teaching a kobudo seminar (Tokushinryu Kobudo) and they did a several-hour demo as part of it. It was a charity thing to raise money for disabled kids.

The dojo is here:

Okinawa Budo Kai School of Karate & Kobudo - Home

You can find the Michigan Medieval Combat Association FB page here:

Michigan Medieval Combat Association

This gentleman is the Captain of the group:

Kyle Randall Tansek | Facebook

Just for anyone interested - not an endorsement and I have no financial or other involvement with the group in question.

Latest Discussions