Hello from Arkansas.

amdaniels

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Austin, I'm 20 and have been intrested in the martial arts most of my life. Ive had about five months of wing chun training and around three months of kickboxing lessons. I currently do not practice any style and am looking for a school to start training again. I found one in the Little Rock area that intrests me but I have never heard of the style before so I'm a bit sceptical. I'm not sure if this fourm is the correct place to ask, but I have a few questions, the school I am looking at teaches taiho-ryu, apparently it was created in Arkansas by a sensei named Fleming Hardy, there are around eight school nation wide that teach it.
I have spoken with the instructors at the Little Rock dojo and they seem very knowledgeable and friendly, but I have always been warned to stay away from styles that are out of the mainstream. The schools are non profit and the rates are cheap (a huge plus for me). The style is apparently a combination of Taiho-jitsu, Isshin-ryu, and Shotokan. Does anyone here know anything about the style or orginization or have any advice on things I should watch for? They seem on the level but I like to do my homework before I get invested. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize for such a long first post.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! I liked Wing Chun a lot, before I moved away from where it was taught.

I don't know your particular school, but Isshin and Shotokan seems an awkward mix.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome!

I think the warning to stay away from arts out of the mainstream is a little misguided. There are a lot of modern hybrid arts in the US that are legitimate and useful.

Having lived in three states since 2008, I've become a pretty savvy martial arts school shopper.

I suggest you research the styles available to you, then visit the ones that focus on things you're interested in: grappling or not, holds and locks or not, weapons or not, more of a sport-art versus more of a self-defense art, etc..

Observe a couple of classes. Talk to students and teachers (not just the head instructor or master of the joint). See if they'll let you do a trial period.

You won't always find the "right" place for you on the first try (that recently happened to me - I chose a very traditional art and school and while it was a great art, it wasn't a good fit for me and I ended up going to a different school). But it's worth the journey, and you'll learn useful things at all of these places.

Good luck!

Latest Discussions