Heavy Sparring

xjrrrdx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I have been doing the advanced classes which is technique and conditioning. And then there is the sparring class, I have never sparred before and I am a little apprehensive/nervous just because Ive never done it before. Tomorrow I am going to be doing the heavy sparring and I am just looking for some tips to help make it a good experience. Since I will be working with some guys who have sparred for years would it be cool to let them know, "Hey I have never done this can you help me out type of thing"??

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I have been doing the advanced classes which is technique and conditioning. And then there is the sparring class, I have never sparred before and I am a little apprehensive/nervous just because Ive never done it before. Tomorrow I am going to be doing the heavy sparring and I am just looking for some tips to help make it a good experience. Since I will be working with some guys who have sparred for years would it be cool to let them know, "Hey I have never done this can you help me out type of thing"??

Since it is your first time sparring ask your trainer if you could spar light.Light sparring is far more beneficial because if you start of light you will get a better understanding about the technique.In light sparring you will be able to throw your techniques correctly without prematurly trying to cover up(which takes power out of your technique) for fear of getting hit hard,but if you do hard sparring you generally learn nothing(or very little) as it becomes a testament of what you already know because now you are in real danger therefore you will only do what comes natural to you(not proper technique).

Also another bad point about hard sparring is that if you go all out and hurt each other you wont be able to train and therefore slowing your progress of becoming a more proficient fighter.Im not saying to ever go hard but work your way up to that point and be careful not to hurt each other.

Here are some things to do instead of hard sparring:

1.Heavy Bag Training (to builder power and technique)

2.Counter attack drills (this will help you builde proper technique,have your opponet throw a few attacks at you,not to hard but not so light that it is unrealistic,while you work on block/evasion then counter-striking.

3.Partner Drills Performing combos on a live partner instead of a heavy bag.You throw a series of medicore attacks to your partner(which he/she usually blocks the attacks to the face and either blocks or absorbs body shots) This will help you get the feel of hitting a live person and it will also help your partner's blocking skills and conditioning.

4.Coached Controlled Sparring This will help you build technique,it will help you know where to move,how to move,while facing a live opponet.It is a much better approach as opposed to having ad advanced fighter unleash pure fury.Its extemly difficult to learn anything when you a merely on the receiving end of an onslaught.

OP
X

xjrrrdx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do a lot of bag work, counter drills, partner drills.

I guess in reality we have done real light sparring, one parther throws 4 attacks then you throw 4 immediately.

Its heavy sparring with pads and such and is under the watch of the coach for technique. I guess what I really meant was this is more of a open your book of attacks and coutners and go at with a partner at around 30%-40% and you use all you have learned. I just am worried at that fast of a pace my form will fall apart and ill make foolish mistakes. Which I am sure is to be expected from the first time sparring.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Prior to Kempo, I trained in boxing at a local gym and then at college. After about 4 years of training, I met a guy who trained me, outside of a class setting, in Muay Thai. I can remember my first time training in both boxing and MT. In boxing, I was extremely aggressive, trying for the knock out on every shot I took. All of the techniques I learned went out the door. My sparring partner was more experienced than I and, needless to say, I got my butt handed to me. During my first time sparring in Muay Thai, I was totally confused even though I had solid training and a bunch of ring experience in boxing. The angles that I was so used to exploiting while boxing changed alot when elbows, knees, and legs were added into the mix. Since I had much more ring experience in boxing, the Muay Thai training went out the door and, needless to say, I got my butt handed to me.

Both of my first time sparring experiences could have been better, I guess, but I felt I learned alot after each. Sometimes, the best way to learn is to jump in and experience it. Don't worry about making foolish mistakes because anyone going in for their first time will make foolish mistakes. Better to make them in the ring during training then during your first match or on the street.

Have fun

OP
X

xjrrrdx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well it went well. I tried to keep all technique, but it was a much more difficult experience than I thought. Finding range when a guy is charging at you, but the most frustrating thing was speed and hits.

No matter what I did I could not touch my partners face, low kicks, and body shots I was okay with. But him on the other hand my head/face was free range lol. The big thing was speed, it seemed no matter what happened before I could get my hands back to my face, I would get tagged. I stayed aggressive and tried to keep my reaction time up but still kept getting knocked. It was a blast though, and I have a cool bruise above my eye lol.

Latest Discussions