Has Anyone Here Studied Matsubayashi Ryu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is Matsubayashi ryu the same style of Shorin ryu taught by Trias when he opened his school in the 50's?

Okinawa-te is supposed to have 36 lenghty kata (a kata in Okinawa-te has at least 60 movements, unlike the 20 or so movements of most Shotokan kata). However, I think the number of people who know even half of these kata can be counted on one hand. We also have 12 short forms, though most schools only teach 6 nowadays. Damn shame, too...they left out some of the coolest ones.

Again, thanks for the kewl info! :D

Cthulhu

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I dug out a box stored in a closet and found two more old karate books I forgot about. One is a 1960 vintage _Karate_, Nishiyama, a Shotokan sensei -- and _Karate-Do_ by Funakoshi Gechin who started Shotokan karate in Japan. I bought Nishiyama’s book while living on Okinawa because my best friend and Judo buddy and I had practiced Shotokan before. One of my first Judo sensei was a yudansha in Shotokan where he learned while at the Kodokan in Japan. They taught that in the old Kodokan even when I was there. It is a hard style and when I studied under Nagamine he taught me to loosen up. Some Okinawa karate is hard style, but from what I saw others were less so.

Now, it was fun reading all that stuff again. History is fun and especially if I was there when some of it was in the making, so to speak. Heck, to some I am historical!:D :D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

We must look to the past to see our future. It is always great when different generations can share and learn from each other's varied experience.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Swami Vivekananda said: "We have to go though different experiences, but let us never forget the ideal."

O nore wo migaku wo aruku beshi - "If one is to polish himself, one must follow a moral path of Morse." (Meaning: To better oneself, one must have stepped over rocks on the Path of Life).

I know there is at least one Confusius saying to fit in here :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
I've heard of kushanku, but not jusanku. Gojushiho is practiced in Shotokan, I believe.

Gojushiho ("the fifty-four steps") is also practiced in some styles of Shorin-ryu, I know: I was taught gojushiho-no-sai as a Shorin-ryu sai kata and was told it was very similar to the empty hand kata. Kusanku is the one named after a Chinese ambassador to the Ryukus, if memory serves.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw another book by Nagamine at Barnes & Noble. Can't remember the title at 1a.m., but it's about different Okinawan karateka, going back 200 years or so. Similar to Richard Kim's The Weaponless Warriors I guess. It was translated by Patrick McCarthy.

Cthulhu

OP
S

shine

I have the book you are referring to: Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters. I thought it was a fun book with some good stories and insights. For instance, Nagamine argues against the myth that karate was developed by peasants; he believes karate was the sole domain of the aristocracy.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope I'am not bustin in. What style did Robert Trias teach? Was it a "traditional" style? Or was it an off shoot? :karate:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I thought Robert Trias taught Shorin Ryu. Let me do a quick Web search to see...

...searching...

...whoops, from what I turned up, it was Shuri-ryu, promoted to 10th dan in 1983.

Cthulhu

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The 18 kata of Matsubayashi ryu are.
Fukyugata I&II
Pinan I-V
Naihanchi I-III
anaku
passai dai
rohai
wanshu
wankan
chinto
gojushiho
kusanku

I studied Matsubayashi Shorin ryu with James Driggs in Ohio for a year,before going back to my original instructor.

Latest Discussions