Hand Cannons

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Biggest in terms of Caliber or power? obviously the power award would go to either the new S&W .500 or to the .500 Maximum. In terms of size there have been muzzleloading pistols of at least .76 caliber. And the best? depends on your personal preferences and your pupose for the gun. Personally I don't really see the need for anything larger than the tried and true .44 Rem. Magnum...maybe the .454 Casull.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember handling a 12 ga., single shot pistol at a pawn shop in Jacksonville, N.C. back in the early 90s. The barrel swiveled on a pivot in front of the trigger guard for loading. I'd think that qualifies as a hand cannon.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Expanding on the subject. . .does anyone know what has the highest muzzle velocity?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
speaking on the single barreled 12 guage....

I had the single and double barreled version...they are part of a survival kit.
I had to do the obviuos and tried to fire both without the barrel extensions.....
I carry a .22magnum darringer now!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Expanding on the subject. . .does anyone know what has the highest muzzle velocity?
I would imagine that there are at least a couple of them that can claim top honors for MV depending on the manufacturer of the powder used and the amount packed into the casing.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
I remember handling a 12 ga., single shot pistol I'd think that qualifies as a hand cannon.
Yeah I'd say it does...lol There are also single-shot handguns made by Thomson-Center that are chambered in rifle cartriges all the way up to 7mm Magnum. But for the purposes of this discussion I was only referring to traditional pistol rounds. However, Magnum Research makes revolvers chambered for both .45-70 and .444 Marlin. (ouch!)

OP
T

TonyM.

I've fired that TC 45-70. Oh my Dear Lord that thing is a beast.

OP
A

Akula

OULobo said:

I found this interesting little chart off of a Google search that had different handgun velocities. I checked the data with Winchester's website, and the numbers seem to be accurate. Off sheer numbers, the winner is ... 454 Casull - 1800 feet per second at the muzzle, and it's the only round listed that has over (way over) 1,000 foot pounds of energy.

OP

maybe not the biggest but my favorite, colt 1911A1 .45

OP
S

Stick Dummy

I believe the VERY largest is a pair of Bolt action .50 caliber BMG chambered single shot pistols made by a well known custom rifle shop.

750 grain projectile at over 2000 fps

The muzzle brake on the one I fired was the size of a soda can with a LOT of 1/4" vent holes.

Recoil wasn't that bad as it weighed about 10-14 pounds, but the muzzle blast lit the carpet covering the benchtop on fire..........

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
a single-shot .50 BMG Pistol...OUCH!!!:) If I had the chance to shoot one I couldn't pass it up but I don't think that's something you'd want to shoot much.

OP
W

white eagle

Hand cannons well I think that a ruger super redhawk in 454 casull is hard to beat You may want to wear a glove or wrist support of some sort but for pure killing power it is very hard to beat load it up with some heavy for caliber hard cast lead and there aint nothing on this planet that will take its punishment

OP
M

muaythaifreak

My vote also goes for the .454 Casull. Man that's a fun round to throw downrange. It dessimates watermelons!!

Latest Discussions