grappling

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
sometimes we do randori practice with punches and sometimes we do not (depending on who is attending). i tend to do better when no punching is allowed. i don't really know why but i think its because i am thinking more technical when i'm not looking for a good strike. anyone else feel this way? anyone feel better doing face punches allowed. the power in our system stays at about 70% wether it be tkd sparring or grappling.

your opinions are appriciated

with respect
painstain

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most likely the grappling techniques and strategies you have been taught are designed for grappling, not MMA. I prefer to hit, I like to use strikes to set up transitions, throws, locks, and everything else :D

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Andrew, I also prefer striking. For me, grappling doesn't compute as quickly as striking, so I use strikes as kind of an ummmm before my grappling transitions. It allows me to take a little more time to recognize the grappling options, while softening the opponent up a bit, without getting countered too quickly. I hope through training that I will be a little quicker with grappling techniques.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to Grappling forum.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Super Moderator

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Most likely the grappling techniques and strategies you have been taught are designed for grappling, not MMA. I prefer to hit, I like to use strikes to set up transitions, throws, locks, and everything else :D

Bingo.

I find adding strikes easier in general. Strikes set up transitions and other moves that are hard to set up other ways and it also creates room for escapes in a lot of cases...

Latest Discussions