Grand Master Moments

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
My M.A. brothers and sisters, I would be very interested in reading about your dealings with the G.M.'s of the various M.A. systems. Be it through seminars, personal instruction, etc... I would like to hear the stories about their thoughts, the topics that they stressed, etc.. What were your most favorite dealings with them (it could also be high ranking, senior masters as well)? Respect to all of you!

T

TerryC

Although he is pretty much unknown here in the US to anyone besides those who had instruction from him while in the military stationed in the Philippines, Master Rafael Reston had a profound effect on my life in general. Although his last name sounds/is "western", he is a full blooded Filipino.

I was introduced to him in 1976 at the age of 27, and asked to take lessons from him. I was at that time around 60 lbs. over weight, 3 pack a day smoker, and let's not even discuss my alcohol consumption! Master Reston accepted me as a student, but told me he doubted I'd last more than a couple of days. He worked me hard, but it seemed like after each session, even though I'd never done that much exercise in my life, I always felt good and refreshed, and felt like I had accomplished something. I had private instruction from him for almost 10 years, and within the first 2 years I had lost all the excess weight, quit smoking, quit all drinking other than an occasional beer.

Master Reston always encouraged me to never give up, that if I had the desire, and worked hard enough, I could do anything.

Now at 79 years old, he is still respected in the Luzon area of the Philippines as one of the pioneers of martial arts there. He is probably the most humble martial artist or master I've ever encountered. When he was younger he turned down countless offers to come to the US for "fame and fortune".

In addition to teaching me Kempo, over the years Master Reston taught me the ins and outs of successfully living and getting along in the Philippines. He was the person I could go to when and if I had any problems there.

As far as his philosophy concerning fighting, he always told me, that it was fine to learn as many techniques as you could, but to try to master a few that really worked for you.

I guess my most enjoyable times were the few times he and I actually sparred. No matter how I tried, I never ever came close to touching him. He was one of those guys that no matter how close you were to him, when you tried to make contact.....suddenly he was behind you!

I still call him on the phone about once a month, and visit him in the Philippines every couple of years. The erruption of Mt Pinitubo and the closing of the US bases pretty much spelled the end of his dojo there, and he now no longer teaches.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sadly do not remember the rank of my teacher's Judo teacher, Mr. Doug Hall, may he rest in peace. But we visited him a few years ago and he showed us a very simple but very important key to Judo - and all things, really.

He said, "Where the head goes, the body follows."

So true - in so many ways. I'll not forget that.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's o.k. about remembering about the rank, It's not the amount of stripes on a black belt, but, the person. A teacher is one that can get through to a student to make them see what is being shown. Such as your statement, it's simple, and probably something that was said to you countless times, but, for some reason, Mr. Hall' s statement got through, which made him a true teacher.
Thank You for sharing!

5 hand swords

Hand Sword said:
That's o.k. about remembering about the rank, It's not the amount of stripes on a black belt, but, the person. A teacher is one that can get through to a student to make them see what is being shown. Such as your statement, it's simple, and probably something that was said to you countless times, but, for some reason, Mr. Hall' s statement got through, which made him a true teacher.
Thank You for sharing!
Ok you might be intrested in my posts on a man I came to this site on a quest to find more about, see my posts on Bob or Robert Perry - Old School as they say now.
Who is Robert Perry "Bob"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembudo-Kai Kempoka
Keeping mine. Have it pasted to a large poster of a Belgian exhibition I attended ni late 80's, along with the patches from various places I stopped along the journey. Always liked that fan, and the symbology built into it.

Dave.

Don’t think I will start that thread but hears a last post (nice website BTW * good job*)

I learned all the martial arts I needed at age 14-16 after a period of time when I was getting beat up by bigger kids, in truth I grew out of the problem at the same time and was somewhat scared off by the hardcore people around at the time.

I only learned the basic fundamentals of 1st level forms and striking (area to hit, how to hit/hold and Thrust vs. impact strikes / dodging / parry / block etc). from Mr. Robert Perry.

I studied at a weird time he transitioned me from starting with the Japanese names to the English names literal then to the English name based on the opponent’s initial attack for form/Katas and I grew 6 inches in ½ year. I still have my old notebook with his writing for the 1st belt forms. I chose the name here based on the 1st form I learned.

I had both Private at first, then both private and public sessions at the location I mentioned and my parents (Lets go with Bill and Betty here as names) and especially my father knew Bob and his Wife well for years afterward.

In Public class things got more difficult fast. (I think a cup was it for protection back then and people did forget the cup and play, but MOST people had good common sense and 3 levels of power 0%, 40to60% and full out in class), but things happen.

Some scary people to a young kid lets just say.

I did not make much beyond orange belt and beginning the Kata’s for the next before dropping out but that was not important.

The important, the most basic, thing I learned was to avoid a fight unless it's forced (and how to kick your internal fighting/threat awareness level to a different danger level based on the situation) and then you fight to kill or disable your opponent ASAP by whatever method available, look for the weapon etc.

Even if a am 30+ years older with Grandkid’s and very out of practice I know what I am aiming at.
Last edited by 5 hand swords : 11-11-2004 at 11:14 PM.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The important point you shared was definitely an old school point of view, which is one that I definitely relate to, coming from a military/ old school mentality my self. Thank you for your response.

Latest Discussions