Glock Shooting 101 (and good stuff for any gun)

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I just found this awesome resource from The Glock FAQ regarding trigger control, recoil recovery, dry-firing, etc. It was originally a thread on Glock Talk that grew.

I can't wait to go try the stuff these guys suggested.

http://glockfaq.com/trigger.htm

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a great site (as well as Glocktalk.com) for anyone who owns a Glock. If anything, some of y'all might recognize me over on Glocktalk, same avatar and username.

The "how-to" areas are very well detailed and illustrated, and can teach anyone how to detail strip a Glock for complete, thorough cleaning.

OP
T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried the dry-firing practice in my garage last night, and I started to see a significant improvement. I had no idea that dry-firing was so important.

I'm very happy about that because I used to live in the country, and I could walk outside and blast off a box or two of shells anytime I wanted to. Now I live in the city, and I have to plan ahead to shoot, but I can practice dry-firing anytime I want to! (Gotta love the glocks! No snap caps needed!)

Last night I dry-fired for about 15 minutes, then practiced drawing and firing my airsoft gun from a concealed position until I drained one CO2 cartridge (I like the feedback of knowing if I fired too fast), then dry-fired for another 10 minutes. By the end the gun was barely moving at all when the hammer dropped, and I got used to the "surprise" of when it did, and didn't flinch.

One thing that was highly stressed when I was taught, but wasn't mentioned on that link, was aiming with your feet. Does anyone else teach this?

My old friend (who was a police officer in New Orleans, and some kind of SWAT team leader) had me point my finger (or a gun) at a specific target on the wall, then close my eyes and "remember" where that target was. Then he had me drop my hand to the side, then try to find the target again with my eyes closed. I could easily find the right height, but was usually to my right or left. Then he had me move my feet until my finger was point at the target again (without changing my stance -- just the position of my feet on the floor). Then I closed my eyes and repeated the test. I hit dead on every time.

So now I practice finding the target with my feet first, (usually by taking a normal, shouler-width stance, and pointing my left toe at the bullseye), then practice shooting from there. If I need to shoot a different direction, say, to the right, I twist my hips and point my right foot at the target -- for me, it works off either foot.

Anybody else do this? Any other ways to practice this technique?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen that thread before, lot's of good info there.

regarding the "aiming with the feet" thing...I don't place much importance on foot position or "stances" when shooting. Why? because in a fight, I doubt you're going to have the time to assume a textbook-perfect stance. Really, if you should be moving anyway. I prefer to think of my upper body as a turret that operates independantly of my foot position.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On the foot thing, yes I do, if the target is to the front of me, but If I drill shooitng something to my left or right flank, I dont waste time making sure my lead foot points at the target.

Latest Discussions