Getting the Angle

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is another good clip from Phil Redmond. Posting because I just came across it after working on this very thing with my guys recently. Good example of taking the blindside simply by stepping out and angling.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another good clip from Phil Redmond. Posting because I just came across it after working on this very thing with my guys recently. Good example of taking the blindside simply by stepping out and angling.

I couldn't get it to play... says outside of youtube disabled by owner request?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To enter through your opponent's "side door", the simplest guideline can be:

1. Uniform stance - Move your back foot to line up with your opponent's both feet. You then move your leading foot.
2. Mirror stance - Move your front foot to line up with your opponent's both feet. You then move your back foot.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Hmm... For me it is never that simple. People pivot, specially when there is no arm control (which is not easy when the guard is close to the body). I feint to the wrong side before going where I want. I also go to the side I don't want (and cannot do much) just to be less predictable.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I like that strategy a lot and use it often... the problem is a lot of people just try to move in a circular manner around the opponent when the actual footwork is more like a spiral (you're still getting closer to the opponent despite going around him).

One combination that works well is after you step out to the outside gate and control the elbow, a nice roundhouse kick into the stomach.

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to play... says outside of youtube disabled by owner request?

Just click the youtube icon at the bottom of the video frame.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the problem is a lot of people just try to move in a circular manner around the opponent when the actual footwork is more like a spiral (you're still getting closer to the opponent despite going around him).
You walk in circle to find opportunity to enter. If your opponent keeps turning with you, you may not find that opportunity and you have to keep your circle walking (or circle running). The moment that your opponent stops turning with you, the moment that you enter.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lead foot to the outside. Shortens the distance and opens the angle by which you can hit him while lengthening and narrowing those same things for him. Western boxing 101.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lead foot to the outside. Shortens the distance and opens the angle by which you can hit him while lengthening and narrowing those same things for him. Western boxing 101.
In uniform stance (both you and your opponent have same side forward), if you move your leading foot outside, you will "cross your legs" and give your opponent a chance to sweep you.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

------------------------------------------
Stepping to the blind side is a dogma

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Another drive-by one-liner liner with no explanation or real contribution to the thread?

Fighting from the blindside when able is a concept found in TWC. Does that make it "dogma"? No more than the concept of operating on the centerline. Is that a "dogma" as well?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
In uniform stance (both you and your opponent have same side forward), if you move your leading foot outside, you will "cross your legs" and give your opponent a chance to sweep you.

True John. But I really think anyone would actually do that. Unless they were doing it quickly as a way of setting the opponent up for a sweep! Because it turns your center away from the opponent's center and violates the idea of good Wing Chun structure in a number of ways.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another drive-by one-liner liner with no explanation or real contribution to the thread?

Fighting from the blindside when able is a concept found in TWC. Does that make it "dogma"? No more than the concept of operating on the centerline. Is that a "dogma" as well?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think that hopping from video to video or style to style can result in a good understanding of concepts.
Going to a side can necessary -depending on some variables- but it is not a fundamental concept.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, I am talking if you are mirrored. South to Orthodox. Probably should have included that :p

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If they are hell bent on attacking the center line. Then not being on that center line is going to be pretty advantageous.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't think that hopping from video to video or style to style can result in a good understanding of concepts.

---Is that supposed to be slam on me?

Going to a side can necessary -depending on some variables- but it is not a fundamental concept.

---It is a fundamental concept in TWC.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

---Is that supposed to be slam on me?

---It is a fundamental concept in TWC.

Isolation from external ideas doesn't exactly help people understand concepts either.

If you look at the lomenchenko break down. That guy is a master of moving laterally.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True John. But I really think anyone would actually do that. Unless they were doing it quickly as a way of setting the opponent up for a sweep! Because it turns your center away from the opponent's center and violates the idea of good Wing Chun structure in a number of ways.
Bagua guys may do that. IMO, if you draw a line out of the center of your chest, that line should meet your opponent's body. This way, both of your hands can reach to your opponent. The "cross legs" posture just violate the basic MA guideline.

Bagua.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If they are hell bent on attacking the center line. Then not being on that center line is going to be pretty advantageous.
Totally agree. I would let a Wing Chun practitioner have the center line all day. If the center line is that important then I'll either move off the center line or move my center line. My opponent is forced to readjust, every time I move off the center line. With that said there are techniques that can be successfully used against moving off center line, but I have never seen anyone use it before.

Latest Discussions