German Swordsmanship

B

believer

Can anyone tell me about german swordsmanship?? I hear they had a complex way of fighting that fused wrestling with swordsmanship. There have been many books written 600 years ago that teaches how to use the sword in germany. Recently, people have started revising the ancient art.

Was this style effective??

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is "revising" the old swordsmanship methods. Trying to figure out what they are doing would probably be more accurate.

From what little I've seen (and felt) it looks pretty darn effective to me.

A couple of good websites of/for WMA practitioners:

http://aemma.org/
http://www.thehaca.com/

For a couple of specific discussion forums for this topic try the Historical European Swordsmanship forum over at SFI

or NetSword

hope that helps,

Lamont

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess you'd have to ask a 600 year old German:D
Since traditional German swordsmanship hasn't been used on the battlefield in some time, it would be difficult to accurately assess its validity. Like all traditional styles, however, we must assume that it worked in some context, or else the practitioners would have been killed off early on.
There is a book on the subject:
Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship by Christian Henry Tobler.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you interested check out The Martial Arts of Renaissance Eurpoe by Henry Anglo. Well written and very enjoyable. If you check out the recent additions of different manuals you will see that east and west are not so far apart.

OP
D

Despairbear

There is a great deal of research going on in teh realm of western martial arts. German and Itialian combat is some of the best documented take a look at the links Blindside has posted the ARMA/HACA is one of the better in my opinion they have some of the old manuals availible online.

Despair Bear

OP
M

MartialArtist

600 years ago? I believe in that time, the HMA, I believe the people of the region known as Germany used MANY different types of swords. The Goths used one type of sword, the Teutons used another type of sword... It's very hard to say.

However, I am confident on this. There is no such thing as a more effective art for this and that, and this applies to weapons. Each weapon is unique, and the style that revolves around the weapon is the best. So of the Germanic swordplay, I'm confident that they are the best with that given type of sword.

OP
W

westernwarrior

German Swordsmanship is a passion of mine, so forgive me if I'm even more lengthy than usual. German Swordsmanship as most WMAists study it starts with Johannes Liechtenauer, who traveled, fought, and studied, probably in the 14th century, finally creating his own system of combat. Most of German Swordsmanship for the next 300 years seems to stem from his teachings. Some of the German texts are interpretations of the teaching verses Liechtenauer left behind (there is no text that we know of written by Liechtenauer). Others work off of Liechtenauer's basics and add techniques of the master's own design. That's the basic history.
As for the system, Medieval systems of combat are very integrated. German books usually start by teaching longsword. From what you learn there, you can use the same principles of movement to wrestle (wrestling or "ringen" is a catch-all term for all unarmed combat and includes throws, joint breaking, some strikes and some groundfighting), dagger-fight, spear-fighting, fighting in and out of armor, fighting on and off horseback. All work off of the same principles.
The Tobler book is fantastic and a great resource to someone just starting up. It's one master's interpretation of Liechtenauer's verses and prefect for springing off into other German or even other Medieval texts.

Latest Discussions