George town BB vs. China

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of sports, unless it involves combat of some kind. I'm wondering for the sports fans out there, is this how basketball is supposed to be played. Here is video of the Georgetown Basketball team on a friendship tour of china getting attacked by the chinese basketball team, the chinese fans and the coaches of the chinese team. Was there a rule change this season? Do they play the game a little differently in communist china?

http://bigpeace.com/stzu/2011/08/19/goodwill-games-basketbrawl-between-china-and-georgetown-u-teams/

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think its just an embarrassment to both teams. They are supposed to play each other again soon too, so I'm interested in seeing how that goes.....

black_tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
I think its just an embarrassment to both teams. They are supposed to play each other again soon too, so I'm interested in seeing how that goes.....

I agree MAist25. I'm embarrassed for my country (USA), no matter who started it.

But, as you know, in the heat of battle, things like this aren't as uncommon as we'd like them to be.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There must be a deep seated dislike for Americans, or else they "the Chinese" watch to much American hockey.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...lege-chinese-teams-ends-basketball-exhibition

"An exhibition basketball game between Georgetown University's Hoyas and the Bayi Rockets descended into a brawl and then a full-on melee Thursday, one day after visiting Vice President Joe Biden stopped by to watch Georgetown play another team, the Shanxi Brave Dragons, in Beijing.
Both the Rockets and the Brave Dragons are professional teams. In Wednesday's game, the Hoyas beat the Brave Dragons, 98-81.
Biden watched that game with Georgetown University President Jack DeGoia and new U.S. Ambassador to China Gary Locke — who, as Eyder reported yesterday, is already a hit with the Chinese public, who were charmed by a photo of him getting his own coffee.
It's hard to tell how Thursday's clash will play out, but the bedlam that took over the exhibition game is sure to share headline space with news of Biden's attempts to improve relations with China.
Gene Wang of The Washington Post was at Thursday's game. Here's part of the story he filed (and is updating with new info as it emerges):
Georgetown Coach John Thompson III pulled his players off the court with 9 minutes 32 seconds left in the game and the scored tied at 64 after a chaotic scene in which members of both teams began throwing punches and tackling one another.
Georgetown senior center Henry Sims had a chair tossed at him by an unidentified person, and freshman forward Moses Ayegba, who was wearing a brace on his sore right ankle, walked onto the court with a chair in his right hand. According to Georgetown officials, Ayegba had been struck, prompting him to grab a chair in self-defense.
It was the second time both benches emptied in physical game marred by fouls. By halftime, Bayi had 11 fouls while Georgetown had 28.
The brawl erupted after Bayi big man Hu Ke committed what Wang describes as a "hard foul" on Georgetown guard Jason Clark. The two began shoving one another, and the benches cleared."

Oh what fun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do not think this is not planned and political on the part of China.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/08/18/bidens-trip-to-china-makes-us-look-weak-not-strong/

The ruthlessly pragmatic Chinese respect strength and despise weakness. Biden, by going to Beijing before Xi Jinping came here, looks like a supplicant, something state media is already playing up. Who travels first is significant in Chinese eyes. President Obama went to Beijing before President Hu Jintao visited Washington, by the way.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. The effect was achieved. Apologies get fewer headlines than the incident. They don't hate us, this is a game, a political game. Please understand that at this level, there are no accidents. It's all intentional, it's all for a specific effect. We do not play this game well in this administration; we just don't. Reagan understood it. Bush I did. Clinton did. Bush II did not. Obama WAY does not. We are in full kow-tow to China and they know it. The insults, slights, and provocations are to show the world that they pwn us. Get it? They are our lords and masters, and we've acknowledged it. They make sure the world understands that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. The effect was achieved. Apologies get fewer headlines than the incident. They don't hate us, this is a game, a political game. Please understand that at this level, there are no accidents. It's all intentional, it's all for a specific effect. We do not play this game well in this administration; we just don't. Reagan understood it. Bush I did. Clinton did. Bush II did not. Obama WAY does not. We are in full kow-tow to China and they know it. The insults, slights, and provocations are to show the world that they pwn us. Get it? They are our lords and masters, and we've acknowledged it. They make sure the world understands that.

The game and it's fight wasn't shown on Chinese television or reported, it was censored. The apology was widely reported outside America, I think it's not the Chinese who are playing games here. There's a comment from someone on here that says India is actually taking over the world, it may be slightly tongue in cheek but there is some truth in there.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/21/who-owns-america-hint-its-not-china/

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If anything the act was directed toward the U.S. especially with Biden over there. I think once they had to actually be around Biden for more than 5 minutes, it may have made them crazy enough to attack our players. It's Biden's fault.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel Bill may be on to something here. It appears that a very skillful chess game is being played at a high level, that at times makes no sense. This game of political chess at times, seems to be for world positioning, and the more we, the US, can look second best, the weaker we appear. The ones that play this game very well, don't go to war, but seem ready to if provoked. War is just to darn expensive, as hopefully we are realizing this.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you all serious? You really believe that the Chinese players attacked yours on government orders, despite the American team being the 'dirtier' team and both sides being as bad as each other, the Chinese apologising and the Americans not? ROFL! All reports, on Sky news, Eurosport, BBC, ITV etc all said it was six of one, half a dozen of the other. If the Chinese are playing games with you they will be a lot more subtle than having one of their basketball teams embarrassing them unless you think it's some sort of reverse psychology where they look bad to make you look bad?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't follow basketball, but I heard tha the chinese refs were not acting impartially during the game, so who was playing dirtier may need to be looked at more closely.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions