Funny, nightmarish, or crazy Christmas shopping stories

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Change of pace here; share your funny, nightmarish, or crazy Christmas shopping stories.

I’m sure even the most level headed martial artist has been tested by fire during this time of year shopping. That guy that just missed your car as he cut in front of you and stole your parking spot then proceeded to show his IQ with his hand in the air.

Or the lady that tried to wrestle the last Cabbage Patch doll away from you in the store. Or that mad dash to the only fifty Tickle me Elmo’s in stock and 2500 people that want one.

I’m sure more than a few of you have stories you can tell?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Change of pace here; share your funny, nightmarish, or crazy Christmas shopping stories.

I’m sure even the most level headed martial artist has been tested by fire during this time of year shopping. That guy that just missed your car as he cut in front of you and stole your parking spot then proceeded to show his IQ with his hand in the air.

Or the lady that tried to wrestle the last Cabbage Patch doll away from you in the store. Or that mad dash to the only fifty Tickle me Elmo’s in stock and 2500 people that want one.

I’m sure more than a few of you have stories you can tell?

Well two months ago I could get a great signal inside the local Walmart, so today while trying to call my brother about a gift for my nephew, I am walking around looking for a signal. While doing this the PA is blaring our requests for managers here and there, and assistance here and there. I pass this guy not in the blue vest of Walmart giving directions and help to an old lady in my search for a signal. I have my phone out like the good old Star Trek "Tri-corder". So, I hear another request go out, and then some guy saying cancel all other request need assistance in section "X" now. I walk down this isle and turn into the intersection where I am meet by six people. People coming from every isle including from behind me. They are all looking at me. I am the only person in the area. I am frustrated already about dropped calls and unable to get signal and then, this happens. Talk about a cluster and asking for a scene to happen. I turn to the guy in normal clothes and state, "I am searching for a signal in your store that used to be just fine a couple of months ago. If I get the signal and can place my call then I could buy something. Now if you will excuse me." And I walked right through him and the rest in my search for a signal.

I am not sure what they thought I was doing, but if I had been a bad guy the two over weight ladies could not have caught me, not the elderly lady as well. The other men my age or older, might have been able to do something is they did not look so afraid.

I really wonder how I scared them, only walking through their store.

On a side note, as a Store manager I might go out and ask for repeaters to be put into my store for cell phone companies. This way, my customers could call get a signal and conenction and not drop and be able to get an answer and not have to make multiple trips. I know some would say multiple trips means you buy more. Not in my case, I go to a different store, where I had less frustration, even if it was not their fault. I know others who do it as well.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well two months ago I could get a great signal inside the local Walmart, so today while trying to call my brother about a gift for my nephew, I am walking around looking for a signal. While doing this the PA is blaring our requests for managers here and there, and assistance here and there. I pass this guy not in the blue vest of Walmart giving directions and help to an old lady in my search for a signal. I have my phone out like the good old Star Trek "Tri-corder". So, I hear another request go out, and then some guy saying cancel all other request need assistance in section "X" now. I walk down this isle and turn into the intersection where I am meet by six people. People coming from every isle including from behind me. They are all looking at me. I am the only person in the area. I am frustrated already about dropped calls and unable to get signal and then, this happens. Talk about a cluster and asking for a scene to happen. I turn to the guy in normal clothes and state, "I am searching for a signal in your store that used to be just fine a couple of months ago. If I get the signal and can place my call then I could buy something. Now if you will excuse me." And I walked right through him and the rest in my search for a signal.

I am not sure what they thought I was doing, but if I had been a bad guy the two over weight ladies could not have caught me, not the elderly lady as well. The other men my age or older, might have been able to do something is they did not look so afraid.

I really wonder how I scared them, only walking through their store.

On a side note, as a Store manager I might go out and ask for repeaters to be put into my store for cell phone companies. This way, my customers could call get a signal and conenction and not drop and be able to get an answer and not have to make multiple trips. I know some would say multiple trips means you buy more. Not in my case, I go to a different store, where I had less frustration, even if it was not their fault. I know others who do it as well.

Maybe they thought you had a taser? Who on earth knows what they thought. Wal- Mart will have (from time to time) a plain- clothes security guard, and even at that, no associate (other than mgmt.) is allowed to persue someone that is wanting the good ole 5- finger discount. Maybe the workers were the one's a little crazy?

A year or 2 ago my mother and I went to a local clothing store, bought what we wanted, and proceeded to the service desk to wrap. This is pretty much the only place that provides the service, so naturally there was a long line, and you had to take numbers. There were 2 ladies that were together, so they asked everyone if they wanted an earlier number. When the 2 people that were before me didn't say anything, I said sure. Keep in mind, the 2 guys just turned and looked at everyone else without saying a word. Well, when I got the #, the guy that came in just before me started raising a stink. He even went as far as calling them not so nice words pertaining to their sexuality. He didn't say anything to me, but boy, did he go off! I just exchanged #'s again, and they offered the # to him, but he refused. Go figure! Why have a fit in a very crowded place about something you didn't want from the start?

Latest Discussions